Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 02/12/2014

2 December 2014

Match Reports

Match Report : 02/12/2014

2 December 2014

Reds 1 (Nyatanga 5)

Doncaster 1 (Robinson 53)

This evening’s South Yorkshire derby ended level at Oakwell as both sides share the points. Going ahead after five minutes when Nyatanga headed in Hourihane’s corner, the Reds remained in front until eight minutes into the second half when Theo Robinson levelled for Rovers.

Due to suffering an injury in the warm up, Reds defender Joe Dudgeon misses out on the action this evening whilst second year scholar Mason Holgate comes in at the back to make his senior debut.

The Reds started the game strongly and in the second minute got the fixture’s first corner. Delivered by Hourihane, the ball found Trotta but the Italian was unable to hit the target through a sea of bodies.

The good start was then rewarded on 5 minutes when Hourihane’s next corner found an unmarked Lewin Nyatanga in the Rovers area and the defender easily headed past Sam Johnstone in the Doncaster goal to put the Reds in front early on.

The Reds continued to control the pace of the game and on 21 minutes Leroy Lita tested the Doncaster keeper, firing a powerful volley towards goal that needed a very good save to keep it out of the back of the net.

Much against the run of play, Doncaster were to have the next chance. With just over ten minutes to play until half time, Ross Turnbull made a good save down low to his let to keep the Reds in front heading towards the break.

Not long after it was Turnbull to the rescue again, this time tipping Theo Robinsons low effort around the post.

Barnsley got back on top of the game in the lead up to half time, and the majority of the final ten minutes of the half were played out in the Doncaster half.

Second Half-

As the two sides came out for the second period, it was the visitors who looked more threatening in the opening exchanges, winning several corners early on.

As Doncaster were unable to make anything of their chances, the Reds remained in front until Theo Robinson levelled for Rovers on 53 minutes, scoring into an open net after Turnbull had made an initial save.

Aiming to get back in front, Danny Wilson replaced Marcello Trotta with Keith Treacy just after the hour mark.

After a long period that saw very little in the way of chances for either side, Reds boss Danny Wilson chose to make his second change of the match in the 77thminute, bringing on Brad Abbott for Luke Berry.

Improving following the substitution, the Reds were the stronger side for last ten minutes of the game.

A corner with three minutes left on the clock was the Reds’ last chance to get back in front and they very nearly did but Nyatanga’s headed effort went wide of the Doncaster goal.


Reds: Turnbull, Brown, Holgate, Berry (77), Nyatanga, Hourihane (C), Ramage, Trotta (61), Bailey, Lita, Cole.

Subs: Davies, Treacy (61), Hemmings, Digby, Abbott (77), Cowgill.

Doncaster: Johnstone, Robinson, Main (81), McCullough, Butler, Stevens, Keegan, Wellens, Wabara, Bennett, Coppinger (C).

Subs: Marosi, Furman, McCombe, Forrester (81), Wakefield, Fernandez, McKay.

Referee: Nigel Miller

Attendance: 10058

1197 (Away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account