Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Reds v Sheffield Wednesday: Full Time

2 August 2014

Club News

Reds v Sheffield Wednesday: Full Time

2 August 2014

Reds 1 (Rose 30)
Sheff Wed 1 (Lee 48)

An equaliser from Kieran Lee for the Owls just after the restart cancelled out Danny Rose’s first half strike as the score finished 1-1 at Oakwell in Barnsley’s final pre-season game against Sheffield Wednesday.

The only goal of the first half came as Danny Rose tucked home a brilliant free-kick delivered by Conor Hourihane on the half-hour mark. 

Fielding several debutants, Reds boss Danny Wilson is giving his new arrivals a chance to gel before the visit of Crawley on the 9th, new recruits Reece Brown, Luke Berry and Joe Dudgeon all making the starting eleven.

The first opportunity of the game fell to the visitors as an early mistake from Reece Brown gifted the Owls a corner. The Reds successfully dealt with the danger as Danny Rose headed clear.

Soon after, Barnsley had a chance of their own as Sam Winnall was fouled in the centre of the pitch. The resulting free kick was taken quickly and Luke Berry found himself through on goal however the referee wasn’t happy with the move and pulled play back.

It was the Tykes who then registered the first shot on target as with 10 minutes played, Winnall worked Keiren Westwood in the Wednesday goal from the edge of the box. The Irishman dealt with the shot well down to his far post and kept the scores level.

The Reds continued to pile the pressure on their Yorkshire neighbours attacking well down the right hand side, Danny Rose again looking dangerous.

As the heavens opened, the Reds were denied once more as Danny Rose headed just over the bar from a corner.

The Tykes held off the following attacks from Wednesday as the defensive unit around Reece Brown looked strong.

At the half way point in the half, the pace of the game was still quick with the now wet pitch seeing the ball skid across the turf.

The new conditions looked to be suiting Barnsley best as Dale Jennings cushioned down a fantastic cross-field ball from Luke Berry from which Hourihane ran on towards goal. The ball then sprung up and the move was ended as the referee awarded a free kick against the Reds for handball.

The Reds then deservedly took the lead just after the half hour mark as Danny Rose scored by converting from Hourihane's free kick that bounced in front of the goal and beat Westwood at his near side.

The Tykes then played out the remainder of the first half in relatively comfortable fashion with Adam Davies in the Barnsley goal tipping a free kick over the bar to keep the Reds ahead at half time.

Second half-

The Reds were greeted back to the pitch for the second half with glorious sunshine and it wasn’t long before the home side created the first chance of the second half as Dale Jennings saw his shot from range go just over the bar.

Second half

The visitors also came out for the second half in good spirits and it wasn’t long before they were level.

A long range shot tested Tykes’ keeper Adam Davies and his failure to deal with the effort presented Wednesday’s Kieran Lee with one of the easiest goals of his career as he tapped in from six yards to level the scores.

Despite the setback, the Reds continued to attack as Luke Berry threatened to the Owls’ defence. His persistence saw the Reds awarded a corner as the majority of the half until this point had been in the visitor’s half.

Danny Rose’s attacking capabilities were still the main the point of Barnsley’ attack as with 15 minutes played of the second period he saw a glancing header go just wide of its mark.

In an effort to sway the game in Barnsley’s favour, Danny Wilson then made two substitutions bringing on Paul Digby and Reuben Noble-Lazarus as Luke Berry and Dale Jennings went off.

The substitutes failed to make any immediate impact and Wednesday enjoyed a comfortable spell of possession.

Adam Davies in the Tykes’ goal then made a good save from Chris Maguire’s shot as he looked to have recovered from his earlier mistake.

Scorer in the previous game Jean-Yves M’Voto then was introduced to the action as the Reds were looking for a goal to get themselves back in front.

M’Voto quickly made his mark on the game as he presented a serious physical challenge for Wednesday’s towering striker Atdhe Nuhiu.

A well worked corner from Barnsley almost saw them retake the lead in the 34th minute as Sam Winnall’s escaped everyone and saw his shot go just wide.

Soon after, goal scorer Danny Rose was replaced by Nana Boakye-Yiadom who recently signed his first professional contract with the club.

Settling down with the ball for the closing stages, the game slowed to a halt as Barnsley made another change, swapping Conor Hourihane for Dominic McHale before the referee ended proceedings with the scores level at one a piece.



Reds: Davies, Brown, Dudgeon, Berry, Nyatanga, Cranie (C), Hourihane, Winnall, Jennings, Rose, Bailey.
Subs: Dibble, Digby, M'Voto, Abbott, Noble-Lazarus, McKnight, McHale, Boakye-Yiadom.

Sheff Wed:Westwood, Young, Floro, Lee, Zayatte (C), Lees, Corry, McCabe, Madine, Maguire, Maghoma.
Subs: Palmer, Kirkland, Coke, Loovens, Nuhiu, Mattock, Antonio, Hutchinson, Croasdale, Dieseruvwe, Wildsmith.

Attendance: 5193

1855 away



Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account