Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 30/08/2014

30 August 2014

Match Reports

Match Report : 30/08/2014

30 August 2014

Yeovil 1 (Cranie o.g 76)
Reds 1 (Hourihane 27)

Barnsley held out for a 1-1 draw to claim a very good point at Yeovil's Huish Park.

It was a fairly slow start from both sides and a deflected strike from Leitch-Smith fell into the path of Foley but he scooped his effort over on four minutes.

Barnsley were up at the other end almost immediately but Keith Treacy's shot from the edge of the box was blocked by Nugent.

Reece Brown saw his attempt well saved by Weale at the Town 'keeper's near post after Hourihane's free-kick wasn't properly cleared.

The Reds came so close on 12 minutes to opening the scoring through Keith Treacy. Sam Winnall squared for the winger whose shot from a tight angle was tipped away by Weale for a corner.

A great from Sam Winnall saw the striker ghost in from the right but his left-footed strike was blocked away by Edwards inside the six-yard box on 18 minutes.

On 27 minutes the Reds found the back of the net and in some style through Conor Hourihane. After picking up possession from the right-hand side, he hammered a shot over Weale - via the very slightest of deflections - and into the top corner.

Keith Treacy limped off injured on the half-hour mark and was replaced by Dale Jennings.

A one-on-one for Leitch-Smith seemed the perfect opportunity for a leveller but Adam Davies made a great save away to his right.

An out-swinging corner from Luke Berry was met by Lewin Nyatanga at the far post deep in stoppage time but Chris Weale denied the defender his first of the season and Barnsley a second.

Second half

Adam Davies had to make another save, and the best so far, early on in the second half. Moore cut in from a tight angle and drilled in a powerful low drive but Davies made an excellent stop.

Again Davies was called into action from Edwards' vicious half-volley and the Barnsley 'keeper did well to hold onto the ball to his right.

On 55 minutes Brad Abbott dragged a shot towards the near post but Weale was able to gather at the second attempt.

The hosts were pressing for an equaliser and had looked fired up since the interval. The towering Moore was looking a threat for the Glovers and a 62nd-minute header had to be snatched from the air by Davies.

On 65 minutes Kane Hemmings came on for Sam Winnall after another great shift from the former Scunthorpe man. Soon after, Leroy Lita made way for Devante Cole.

The hosts were level on 76 as Martine Cranie sliced Leitch-Smith's effort into his own net. It was just beyond the reach of Davies and certainly cruel on the Reds' stopper, who had enjoyed a fine match.

Foley saw his effort deflect out for a corner as Gary Johnson's side piled forward for a winner in the closing ten minutes.

For all over Yeovil's pressure, the Reds almost found a second after Jennings took the ball beyond Smith and delivered for Cole on 85 minutes but his effort lacked power to beat Weale.

Hourihane had to clear off the line as Yeovil piled forward and earned corner after corner. Nugent's header was cleared by Hourihane and Davies did well to gather Moore's rebounded attempt on 86 minutes.

In the first minute of stoppage time Dale Jennings zipped a low shot inches wide of the far post after being fed in by Abbott from the centre.


Yeovil starting XI: Weale, Smith, Edwards (C), Martin, Sokolik, Dawson (Ralph 65), Hayter (Hoskins 65), Leitch-Smith, Foley, Nugent, Gillett (Moore 45+3).
Subs: Moloney, Krysiak, Twumasi, Brooks.

Barnsley starting XI: Davies, Brown, Dudgeon, Berry, Nyatanga, Cranie (C), Treacy (Jennings 30), Hourihane, Winnall (Hemmings 65), Abbott, Lita.
Subs: Turnbull, Digby, M'voto, Bree, Cole.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account