Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Coventry City v Reds: Full Time

19 August 2014

Club News

Coventry City v Reds: Full Time

19 August 2014

Coventry City 2 (McQuoid 4, Clarke 44)
Reds 2 (Hourihane 31, Lita 45+3)

It was all square at Sixfields as the Reds earned a point in a well-contested 2-2 draw against Coventry with Leroy Lita and Conor Hourihane bagging the goals for Barnsley.

The Reds lined up unchanged from Saturday's 2-1 victory at Crewe but with new boy Devante Cole on the bench.

It wasn't long until the Reds registered their first shot of the match as Sam Winnall clipped an effort just over on two minutes. Berry slipped the ball into the area and Winnall's shot on the turn appeared to be palmed over by Allsop but a goal-kick was awarded.

However, it was the hosts who took the lead on four minutes as Josh McQuoid fought his way into the box before calmly slotting past Davies from 12 yards.

Jim O'Brien tested Davies on 11 minutes after making a great run down the middle - his rising drive was palmed away by Davies from the top corner.

The next attempt didn't come until the 28th minute and it was O'Brien once again, although he came a lot closer this time. Lining up a 30-yard free-kick, the former Red bent his effort over the wall and onto the bar.

Barnsley were back level on 31 minutes as Conor Hourihane bent in a marvellous free-kick from 22 yards. It was the Irishman's first goal of the season and a spectacular one at that - right into the top corner.

Cranie was sniffing for his second goal in as many games just minutes after Clarke has chopped down Hourihane. From the resulting free-kick, Cranie latched onto a half-clearance but saw his effort blocked by Allsop inside the six-yard box.

It was 2-1 on 44 minutes as Jordan Clarke smashed home from close range. An O'Brien free-kick from the right wasn't cleared and the ball fell into Clarke's path, with the defender making no mistake from inside the six-yard box.

Fortunately the Reds fond an equaliser before the break and it was Leroy Lita in the right place at the right time once again. Hourihane's corner fell for Berry and as his shot was about to be cleared, Lita managed to glance home a header from virtually on the line.

Second half

The hosts should have added a third on 52 minutes when McQouid slid in at the far post to attack a free-kick but he stabbed wide of the post. Coventry had carried on with their first half rhythm after the break.

When Nyatanga lost the ball inside his own box, McQuoid had another chance to bag his second but was thwarted by a great block from Davies eight yards from goal.

Johnson got lucky on 61 minutes as Treacy nipped in to control his short back-pass to Allsop but the winger was unable to keep the ball in play for what would have been an easy tap-in.

Danny Wilson made a double change on 64 minutes as Keith Treacy was replaced by Paul Digby and Leroy Lita made way for debutant Devante Cole.

Winnall tried his luck from 22 yards on 78 minutes but volleyed wide of Allsop's right-hand post. The Reds were trying to utilise the pace of Cole and he was set away down the right to deliver for Winnall on 82 minutes but saw his delivery cleared.

Kane Hemmings was introduced one minute into stoppage time, as he replaced Sam Winnall in attack. Jackson went close for the hosts just after four minutes of stoppage time was indicated but the striker saw his effort blocked by Cranie.


Coventry: Allsop, Willis, Webster, Johnson, Fleck, McQuoid (Miller 67) , Swanson, O'Brien, Tudgay, Clarke, Haynes.
Subs: Burge, Thomas, Coulibaley, Daniels, Phillips.

Reds: Davies, Brown, Dudgeon, Berry, Nyatanga, Cranie, Treacy (Digby 64), Hourihane, Winnall (Hemmings 90+1), Bailey, Lita (Cole 64).
Subs: M'voto, Abbott, Dibble, Bree.

Referee: P. Miller
Assistant Referees: D Leach and M Mellor
Fourth Official: P Hobday

Attendance: 2376 (883 Reds)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account