Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 05/04/2014

5 April 2014

Reds 0 (Etuhu sent off 76)
Brighton 0

It looked like the Reds could go on and win a match they dominated but had to settle for a point having gone down to 10 men.

The Reds started the brighter of the two sides and had the visitors penned in to their own half for the first 13 minutes.

McLaughlin and Cywka were linking up well down the right, with Liam Lawrence dictating the pace from central-midfield.

On 16 minutes the first shot of the match fell for Dale Jennings after great feet from Chris O'Grady inside the area. Kuszczak was, however, equal to Jennings' shot from the corner of the box.

The match was offering very few clear-cut chances, with Cywka trying his luck from two free-kicks that were both blocked away by the Brighton wall.

The Seagulls' first attempt fell on 37 minutes but M'voto made a last-ditch tackle to deny Stephens from just inside the area.

Brighton's Ulloa's can certainly count himself lucky for staying on the field. After talking his way into the referee's book, he kicked out at Stephen Dawson but only received a warning.

Second half

Seven minutes into the second half the Reds went mighty close to breaking the deadlock through Ryan McLaughlin. Stephen Dawson was the architecht, flying forward before the ball fell for Kennedy, his cross was met at the far post by MCLaughlin's head but his effort cracked the bar.

Brighton replied on 55 minutes but Lingard scooped over from the edge of the area after being teed up from the right.

The Reds fans were in fine voice backing their side, all that was needed was a goal to lift the roof off.

Brighton made a change on 63 in a bid to freshen things up, with Lualua replacing Rodriguez.

Nick Proschwitz replaced McLaughlin on 65 minutes, meaning Tomasz Cywka dropped back to right-wing and the German joined O'Grady in attack.

On 70 minutes Oakwell was on its feet but M'voto's header was inches wide. A free-kick was blocked into Jenning's path, his cross found M'voto who powered his header low but wide. It was a great chance that would have blown the roof off Oakwell.

Kelvin Etuhu got in the way of Ulloa's finish at the other end as the Seagulls responded down the right.

Etuhu picked up his second booking for pulling back Lualua when Brighton broke down the left. It was now a big task for the Reds with 14 left on the watch.

Despite being down to ten men, Barnsley were controlling the play down the left and Lawrence was enjoying a fine afternoon in the middle of the park.

O'Grady was everywhere for Barnsley and not only once but twice got in a vital block to deny the Seagulls a shot at goal, as well as leading the line well at the top all game.


Barnsley: Steele, Kennedy, Nyatanga, Etuhu, M'voto, Lawrence, Cywka (Hunt 78), Dawson, Jennings, O'Grady, McLaughlin (Proschwitz 65).
Subs: Turner, McCourt, Hassell, Woods, Frimpong.

Brighton: Kuszczak, Calderon, Greer, Upson, Ward, Andrews, Stephens, Rodriguez (Lualua 63), March, Ulloa, Lingard (Mackail-Smith 78).
Subs: Brezovan, Forster-Caskey, Lopez, Dunk, Chicksen.

Referee: Tony Harrington

Attendance: 10,195 (675 away)

Man of the match, sponsored by Napoleon's: Stephen Dawson

Advertisement block