Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Reds v Birmingham: Full Time

30 November 2013

Reds 0 
Birmingham City 3 (Caddis 13 pen 22, Zigic 37) 

The Reds never got into gear against Birmingham this afternoon and the Blues won the match in the first half half with all three goals.

Both teams welcomed Reds legend Norman Rimmington onto the pitch with a guard of honour as Oakwell paid tribute to 'Rimmo' - who turned 90 yesterday. 

It would be fair to say the first  13 minutes were uneventful, yet the first shot of the match saw the visitors take the lead. Paul Caddis picked up the ball from the left and seemed to have plenty of time to set his sights before firing into the bottom corner from the edge of the area. 

The Reds weren't happy when Zigic threw himself to the ground in theatrical style in the area, and even unhappier when the referee pointed to the spot. Caddis stepped up to stroke home to Butland's left on 22 minutes. 

There was a pause in play 25 minutes in as the referee consulted with both benches after the four corner floodlights went out but play continued. 

Things went from bad to worse as confusion between Dawson and Perkins when Blues countered, the ball eventually fell for Zigic who found himself one on one with Butland and the striker dinked over his former team-mate. 

Barnsley's first attempt on goal came after 43 minutes and Pedersen couldn't direct his header on goal from Wiseman's right-wing delivery. 

Second half

Barnsley made two changes at the break with Tomasz Cywka and Jacob Mellis replacing Jim O'Brien and David Perkins.

Lingard did well on 55 minutes to make space for himself under pressure from M'voto and got a fierce shot away, only for Butland to parry away.

A final change came for the Reds on 59 minutes as Jason Scotland replaced Marcus Tudgay.

Cywka tried his luck from a free-kick placed at a tight angle - testing Randolph at his near post with a vicious low drive.

The Oakwell faithful thought their side had hauled one back on 64 minutes but when Kennedy's cross-shot was turned in by Cywka but the linesman's flag was raised.

Both 'keepers had routine shots to gobble up at either end but the Reds were trying to play their way forward as the visitors were happy to soak up pressure and sit on their three-goal cushion.

Three minutes of stoppage time was added but the Reds weren't able to penetrate the Blues' back-line.


Reds: Butland, Kennedy, Cranie (c), O’Brien (Cywka 46), Dawson, Perkins (Mellis 46), Wiseman, M’voto, McCourt, Pedersen, Tudgay (Scotland 59).  
Subs: Hassell, Etuhu, Ramage, Fox.

Birmingham City: Randolph, Robinson (c), Burn, Lingard, Novak, Reilly, Hancox, Zigic (McLean 75), Adeyemi, Ferguson (Elliott 68), Caddis  
Subs: Doyle, Burke, Lee, Shinnie, Dudka.  

Referee: Kevin Wright  
Assistant Referees: Joe Hull & Simeon Lucas  
Fourth Official: Sebastian Stockbridge

Man of the match sponsored by Napoleon's: Martin Cranie.

Advertisement block