Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

FT: Barnsley 0-0 Doncaster

9 November 2013

A minute's silence was perfectly observed ahead of the match in remembrance of those who had fallen.

The opening exchanges in the game were played at a high tempo as both sides looked to impose themselves early on.

With 11 minutes of the match gone Chris O'Grady was involved in the first serious attack of the game and his efforts were cleared for a corner and Jim O'Brien cross in found the head of Jean-Yves M'voto who headed the ball just wide of goal.

Theo Robinson earned a freekick a few minutes later 30 yards out which was taken by Duffy and headed wide by Bongani Khumalo for their first real chance of the match.

Some patient passing by Duffy and Brown fashioned an opening which O'Brien cleared for a corner but Barnsley were able to deal with the subsequent throw-in.

Quickly play moved to the Doncaster penalty area and Pedersen was clearly fouled and the referee had no problem given the Reds a penalty. Chris O'Grady stepped up and struck the ball only for former Barnsley player Ross Turnbull to pull off a save.

Mid-way through the first half a good attacking move by Barnsley enabled Paddy McCourt to present David Perkins with a good shooting chance, but the shot went straight to the keeper.

Half an hour in and Barnsley were still pressing hard with plenty of ball in and around the Doncaster box. Again Chris O'Grady was in a good position but his shot was blocked.

Mark Duffy tried his luck from the edge of the area  but McCourt got a solid block in to concede the corner which was cleared for a Doncaster throw-in.  A half-hearted attempt at goal made life easy for Butland to jump and claim.

With five minutes of the half remaining Wiseman advanced forward and his cross along the face of goal was begging someone to tap it home but no one had followed Wiseman's move.

Paddy McCourt brought back memories from the Middlesbrough match when he danced into the box but this time Turnbull was able to save. Certainly the move of the match to that point.

Second Half

Doncaster's Mark Duffy got the first shot in the second half and a deflection earned them a corner, but it was dealt with by Barnsley and the danger was quickly cleared.

On 52 minutes Scott Wiseman put in a pass through to Jim O'Brien who had to chase hard to get to but somehow managed to get a cross in although Doncaster were able to clear.

Doncaster were stepping things up with John Ryan now in the stands having resigned as Doncaster chairman just an hour earlier. 

Paddy McCourt almost got himself on the scoresheet with Barnsley taking a quick free kick, McCourt ran with the ball and shot but again Turnbull got onto the end of it.

With the hour mark approaching McCourt put in a pass for Wiseman to chase down but the Reds couldn't get the final ball to count, then Tom Kennedy crossed for Marcus Pedersen who was stretching but just couldn't get close enough to put a foot on the ball and guide it into the net.

Patient passing play by the Reds gave Paddy McCourt another chance at goal from distance but his shot fizzed wide of the goal.

Another brilliant run into the box by Paddy McCourt looked like he was goal bound and it looked like he was brought down but the referee blew for a free kick the other way.

A surging run by Perkins on 72 minutes around the defence led to a corner which was delivered by Kennedy and M'voto headed it high and wide over.

Mark Duffy's cross had Barnsley worried and they were able to sustain some pressure around the Barnsley but in the end could not get a shot off and Barnsley cleared the danger.

With seven minutes remaining Scotland played in O'Brien who from a tight angle crossed the ball for a Doncaster player to hit into the side netting. The corner was quickly cleared by Doncaster as they continued to battle in midfield.

Barnsley were getting closer and putting on the pressure, this time Jason Scotland's shot went into the side netting.

Doncaster came mightily close when the ball broke and Ritchie Wellens tried a curling effort into the top corner, fortunately it went wide.

O'Grady looked like he was going to win it for Barnsley when McCourt crossed into the box but his header went well wide.

The last throw of the dice was a free kick floated in and headed just wide by Tomasz Cywka. That was the last move of the game as the referee blow for full time.



Butland, Kennedy, Cranie (C), O’Grady, Perkins, Wiseman, Pedersen (Scotland 75), O’Brien (Cywka 86), M’voto, Fox (Dawson 65), McCourt

Substitutes: Hassell, Nyatanga, Dagnall, Etuhu


Turnbull, Quinn, Furman, Duffy (Coppinger 79), Brown, McCullough, Khumalo, Keegan, Wellens, Robinson (Cotterill 62), Wabara

Maxted, Paynter, Wakefield, Fernandez, Peterson


Man of the Match: Paddy McCourt

Attendance: 11,843

Advertisement block