Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 09/03/2013

9 March 2013

Man City 5 (Tevez 10, 31, 50, Kolarov 27, Silva 65) 
Reds 0 

Barnsley’s cup dream is over as Premier League champions Manchester City breezed past the Reds with ease whilst maintaining their record of not conceding a goal in the competition so far. 

Both sides tested the water going forward in the early stages without really testing either ‘keeper as the atmosphere cranked up inside The Etihad. 

The first chance fell for the hosts on nine minutes when Dzeko glanced an eight-yard header over the top from Nasri’s left-wing delivery. Moments later City took the lead when Carlos Tevez pounced onto a rebound – tapping into an empty net. Steele made a great save initially to deny Silva but the effort came off the post and into the Argentine’s path. 

Tevez powered a header over on 18 minutes after greeting a deep delivery but Barnsley were battling hard for their share of possession. 

It looked too easy for City on 27 minutes when Kolarov tucked home a Carlos Tevez cross from the right. The full-back found Steele’s left-corner with ease from 12 yards out. 

It was game over a minute past the hour mark as City enjoyed the freedom of the park down the left. Silva sent a ball behind the striker from the by-line and he spun before tucking home his second and City’s third from six yards. 

Luke Steele had to beat away a Tevez strike on 37 minutes after the striker picked up possession from the left flank and curled towards goal from 25 yards. 

Pantilimon was yet to be tested as Tomasz Cywka sliced wide from 20 yards with the left boot following good play by Dagnall down the left. 

Second half 

The first attempt of the second half saw Carlo Tevez claim the matchball with another easy goal. City were enjoying all the time in the world down the Barnsley right with Nasri planting a ball on the striker’s toe who cushioned into the bottom corner. 

Three changes followed for the Reds with O’Brien, Mellis and Scotland coming on for Etuhu, Dagnall and Cywka on 52 minutes. 

A first test for Pantilimon was from substitute Mellis on 57 minutes when he volleyed towards the bottom corner but the ‘keeper parried well away from goal. 

A glorious chance came for the Reds to pull one back on 61 minutes when Ryan Tunnicliffe charged forward to find himself one-on-one with the ‘keeper but he struck at the leg of Pantilimon and the rebound was flicked into the path of Mellis by Scotland but his effort was also saved by the City ‘keeper. 

Dzeko hammered a sweet shot just wide on 64 minutes but a minute later it was five because City were the first to react to everything. Silva tucked into the empty net when his initial shot was saved by Steele. 

As the match wore on the Reds were enjoying plenty of possession and knocked the ball around to cheers from the travelling 6,000. 

James Milner rattled Steele’s post with a rasping drive from the right after cutting in onto his left boot with five minutes to play. 


Man City: Pantilimon, Zabaleta, Kolo Toure, Lescott, Kolarov, Yaya Toure, Barry, Silva (Razak 66), Tevez (Milner 76), Nasri (Sinclair 52), Dzeko. 
Subs: Hart, Clichy, Nastasic, Javi Garcia. 

Reds: Steele, Wiseman, Cranie, Kennedy, Foster, Etuhu (O’Brien 52), Tunnicliffe, Perkins, Cywka (Mellis 53), Dagnall (Scotland 52), Harewood. 
Subs: Lidakevicius, Hassell, Rose, Delap. 

Referee: A. Taylor. 

Attendance: 46, 728

Advertisement block