Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 05/01/2013

5 January 2013

Reds 1 (Rose 86) 
Burnley 0 

Barnsley-born Danny Rose smashed in his first senior goal to see his boyhood club into the fourth round of the FA Cup at Oakwell. 

The 19-year-old sprang from the bench to hammer home Scott Golbourne’s rebounded cross in the 86th-minute to win a fairly uneventful tie but this will always be remembered by Barnsley’s young striker. 

Dawson fired the first shot in anger with barely a minute on the watch but Jensen watched it sail wide. At the other end on five minutes Wallace caused a scare when his deflected effort was pounced on by Steele. 

Nine minutes in Sam Vokes placed a low shot wide after Danny Ings charged at the Barnsley defence. It was certainly a lively opening from both sides who were determined to go on the offensive. 

On 21 minutes Luke Steele had to tip a deflected cross away from danger with Vokes lurking. Burnley were looking a lot more attack-minded than their previous visit to Oakwell in the league two months ago. 

Tom Kennedy had a chance from a 25-yard free-kick but bent his effort over the bar with his left peg. David Perkins let fly from distance but still neither ‘keeper had been properly troubled by the 33 minute mark. 

A Scott Golbourne cross was begging to be turned home on 34 minutes as was a cross by Harewood a minute later but no Reds shirt was in sight. 

A second yellow card was shown to Brian stock on 37 minutes and the midfielder could have no complaints after a cynical haul on Jim O’Brien. The subsequent free-kick was deflected to Stones ad he worked the ball to Perkins infield who hammered another drive even closer than his previous effort but still over the bar. 

Chris Dagnall was again working his socks off and his persistence paid off when he squeezed the ball through to Golbourne in the penalty area but he blazed high over the bar with just Jensen to beat. 

Second half 

The second half saw the Reds pick up where they left off and should have broken the deadlock through Dawson. He hammered a rebound at goal and even an attempt at diverting the ball in from Dagnall still saw the ball drift wide. 

Barnsley were making their man advantage count as they dominated possession and continued to search for an opener. More intricate play followed in the 55th minute and Dawson was lurking on the edge of box to pick up Harewood’s lay-off only to hammer just over the bar. 

The visitors did muster up half a chance of their own on 58 minutes but Vokes dragged wide after picking up a cross from the right. 

The Reds made their first change with Tomasz Cywka replacing Tom Kennedy on 67 minutes, meaning a change in formation for Flitcroft’s men. 

When O’Brien’s corner was cleared into the path of Dawson, the Irishman squared to Perkins who curled a cute shot just over – going close for the third time. At the other end Burnley’s debutant Richards was looking lively and was prevented from pulling the trigger by an excellent tackle from Golbourne. 

With eight minutes to go Danny Rose was thrown on for Chris Dagnall in attack. Not long after Reuben Noble-Lazarus came on for Marlon Harewood. 

When it appeared Scott Golbourne’s cross was heading nowhere, it cannoned off the bar and the first to react was Barnsley-born Danny Rose to smash into the net for his first senior goal. It was a special moment for the youngster who celebrated with the Tykes faithful. 

Despite being a man down Burnley seemed determined to prolong their FA Cup campaign and Kieran Trippier saw his free-kick deflect off the wall. 

Four minutes of stoppage time was indicated with the match swinging from end to end – it was certainly an exciting end to what had been a fairly unproductive tie. 

 Reds: Steele, Golbourne, Dawson, Stones, Kennedy (Cywka 67), McNulty, Cranie, Perkins, O'Brien, Dagnall (Rose 82), Harewood (Noble-Lazarus 86).
Subs: Alnwick, Foster, Etuhu, Noble-Lazarus, Hassell. 

Burnley: Jensen, Treacy (Edgar 46), Marney, Trippier, Vokes, Stock (s/o 37), Ings, Lafferty, Shackell, Wallace (Richards 68), Duff (Bartley 83).  
Subs: Grant, Stanislas, O'Neil, Fletcher. 

Referee: Paul Tierney 
Assistant Referees: Nigel Murphy and David McCallum 
Fourth Official: John Jones 

Attendance: 5,090

Advertisement block