Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Reds v Yeovil: Full Time

14 December 2013

Reds 1 (Tudgay pen 34)
Yeovil 1 (Grant 10)

It ended all square at Oakwell and everything to play for in this open encounter, as Marcus Tudgay's smashing penalty cancelled out Grant's 10th-minute strike.

Mellis burst forward with only two minutes on the clock and found Cywka to his left but the winger's shot was blocked into the arms of Yeovil 'keeper Dunn.

Six minutes later Paddy McCourt drifted into the middle and unleashed a low shot that Dunn did well to palm away to his right.

After the Reds registered their third shot through Mellis that went wide, Yeovil took the lead with their first effort. Butland was caught out to his right on ten minutes as Grant managed to squeeze the ball in from a tight angle.

It was almost two on 22 minutes for the visitors when a counter-attack was delivered into the path of Edwards but he blasted his effort onto the post.

On 28 minutes the Reds built up a head of steam and eventually saw Perkins zip a 25-yard effort just over.

The Reds were dealt a huge blow on the half-hour mark as Paddy McCourt had to be withdrawn through injury for Jim O'Brien.

Two minutes after the Reds' change, Tomasz Cywka hammered a vicious low effort at goal but again Dunn got down well to deny his 22-yard strike.

A penalty was awarded to the Reds as Cywka was brought down on 33 minutes, allowing Tudgay a free crack at goal. The Forest loanee stepped up to smash into the top corner to make it 1-1.

A well worked free-kick from the visitors was almost turned into his own net by Mellis but Jack Butland made a smart stop to spare his team-mate's blushes.

With just over six minutes to the break, O'Brien and Mellis combined well in the box to allow Mellis a dig at goal but his top-corner-bound effort was cleared off the line.

Miller curled a nice effort at goal on 44 minutes when he was picked out free in the area, but the former West Brom man's effort sailed wide.

The Reds almost squeezed in a second as Wiseman's pull-back was deflected wide from Pedersen's strike in the third and final minute of first-half stoppage-time.

Second half

The Reds started the second half with a will to go forward and O'Brien tested Dunn with a shot from the edge of the box.

A Yeovil corner saw a scramble in the Barnsley box, with the ball deflecting across the face of goal before ricocheting out for a corner.

Two subs came on 59 minutes - one for each team - Jason Scotland replacing Marcus Pedersen for the Reds and Kevin Dawson coming on for Yeovil in place of Ed Upson.

On 64 minutes Jason Scotland found a yard in the box and smashed a wicked left-footed drive just over the bar with Dunn scrambling.

It was a tightly contested affair with both sides in the hunt for a winner. James Hayter replaced Lundstram for the visitors with 15 left on the clock.

Cywka drilled in a free-kick that went the wrong side of the post as the game stretched from end to end. At the other end Miller planted a header wide from barely three yards as the Glovers pressed down the right.

Changes on 83 minutes came for both sides with Morgan replacing Miller and M'voto coming on for the injured Perkins - the big Frenchman was operating effectively as a target man up top.

M'voto had an immediate impact and saw his header saved expertly by Dunn low to his right. At the other end Yeovil piled forward and only a Ramage block prevented a second Glovers goal before Hayter missed a gilt-edged chance from six yards with a free header on 87 minutes.

Scotland latched on to Tudgay's neatly flicked header and took the ball well in his stride but could only fire at Dunn from just inside the area.

A minimum of three minutes' stoppage time was indicated by the fourth official as the Reds huffed and puffed but couldn't squeeze a winner at the death.


Reds: Butland, Ramage, Kennedy, Cranie, Wiseman, Perkins (M'voto 83), Cywka, Mellis, Pedersen (Scotland 59), McCourt (O'Brien 30), Tudgay. 
Subs: Nyatanga, Dawson, Hassell, Fox. 

Yeovil: Dunn, Ayling, McAllister, Edwards, Webster, Upson (Dawson 59), Duffy, Ralls, Grant, Miller (Morgan 83), Lundstram (Hayter 75). 
Subs: Stewart, Hayter, Moore, Hoskins.

Referee: Lee Probert 
Assistant Referees: Alan Young & Robert Merchant 
Fourth Official: Jeremy Simpson

Attendance: 13, 361

Man of the match sponsored by Napoleon's: Jacob Mellis

Advertisement block