Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Burnley v Reds: Full Time

6 December 2013

Burnley 1 (Kightly 65)
Reds 0

The Reds gave it another good go just like in Brighton, but came away from Burnley's Turf Moor with nothing to show for another bright performance.

On the stroke of two minutes the hosts saw Sam Vokes race clear down the Barnsley left, but he shanked his effort with the left boot well wide as he raced in on goal. 

McCourt ghosted past three Burnley players before unleashing a vicious drive from 22 yards but his effort zipped over on five minutes. At the other end the palms of Butland were stung by a cracking shot from Jones - the Stoke loanee having to thump the strike away from danger.

With quarter of an hour gone the Reds had grown into the game and looked in control for a good five minutes of play. 

The hosts came back with a decent Trippier delivery on 20 minutes but Ings couldn't guide his back-post header on target. 

On 21 minutes Paddy McCourt set about on a trademark run before threading through for Cywka but Heaton denied the Pole's strike when one-on-one. 

Wiseman bombed down the right on 26 and put a decent ball into the box, just in front of the defence, but Cywka met the delivery with a rising drive that flew over. 

An effort from Scott Arfield cleared the cross-bar with just a couple of minutes left on the first-half clock. 

Second half

The hosts were looking a threat early on in the second half with their set-piece plays and direct style.

Burnley almost got in on 57 minutes through Ings but Kennedy came from nowhere to deny the striker a clean crack at goal when only 12 yards out.

The Clarets had found some belief and almost broke the deadlock when a cross from the by-line was well cleared by Wiseman just a couple of yards off the line three minutes past the hour.

The opener came for Burnley on 65 minutes and it was all about the quality of Kieran Trippier who ghosted past the Reds defence before laying into acres of space for Michael Kightly who curled a delightful effort into the top corner.

Etuhu was replaced by Jason Scotland on 69 minutes for Barnsley's first change of the match.

From a 35-yard free-kick, Tomasz Cywka struck a sweet effort at goal that Heaton had to get a strong hand to and turn over on 73 minutes.

A second change for the Reds came with Jim O'Brien replacing Tomasz Cywka on 76 minutes, and Burnley's David Edgar coming on for Brian Stock.

Sam Vokes fired a low effort low and wide after good play down the middle. The Burnley faithful wanted a second but Barnsley still looked capable of finding an equaliser.

A decent individual effort from Arfield was wasted in the 82nd minute after a great run down the left before hammering a shot straight at Butland.

A third and final change for the Reds saw Marcus Pedersen introduced for Paddy McCourt with 83 minutes played.

Neither Scotland from a tight angle nor Mellis from range could find that elusive leveller as the clock ticked down.

Four minutes of stoppage time was indicated by the Fourth Official

The Reds came forward in stoppage time and managed to carve out a great chance for Scotland but a Clarets boot deflected the effort wide.


Burnley: Heaton, Shackell, Vokes, Trippier, Mee, Duff, Ings, Kightly, Jones, Stock (Edgar 76), Arfield.  

Subs: Cisak, Lafferty, Long, Hewitt, Noble. 

Reds: Butland, Kennedy, Tudgay, Wiseman, Etuhu (Scotland 69), Ramage, McCourt (Pedersen 83), Mellis, Cywka (O'Brien 76), Perkins, Cranie.   
Subs: Dawson, Fox, Hassell, M'voto.  

Referee: J. Adcock  
Assistant Referees: P. Curry & M. Dwyer   
Fourth Official: S. Rushton


Advertisement block