Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Brighton v Reds Full-time

3 December 2013

Brighton 1 (Upson 62) 
Reds 2 (McCourt 35, Mellis 5) 

Barnsley recorded a fine victory on the road at Brighton - their first away win of the season - as life without David Flitcroft began with three points.

A trademark Paddy McCourt run and goal and a fine Jacob Mellis effort saw the Reds earn their first win in Brighton for more than 25 years.

It was more a game of chess than football at first as both sides enjoyed decent spells in possession but neither could find that killer ball into the final third. 

On 20 minutes the first real attempt on goal saw the Reds' crossbar rattled, and it was only thanks to Jack Butland that Brighton didn't score. Conway it was who cut in from the left and unleashed a great strike towards the top left-hand corner but Butland tipped the ball onto the bar. 2

With 35 minutes played, Paddy McCourt took matters into his own hands as he set off on another typical run towards goal - after a neat one-two inside the area with Tudgay, McCourt's delicate effort couldn't be kept out by Kuszczak. 

The goal breathed some much-needed confidence into the Reds - who were certainly proving that they could compete with the Seagulls. 

Second half

Five minutes into the second half Jacob Mellis smashed the Reds into a two-goal lead after a lovely move that was started by the midfielder himself. After some great skill from Mellis to evade his man, he slipped the ball to Tudgay and a brilliant return ball found Mellis in the area who thumped into the near post.

There was a real verve about Barnsley's play and Jacob Mellis was in his element in the middle of the park.

Barnsley were all over the hosts and a good move down the left eventually saw McCourt fire at goal but his effort was into the ground and didn't bother Kuszczak on 57.

Etuhu then fired over the bar after McCourt made the Brighton defence look silly prior to slipping the ball to the right for Etuhu, but the midfielder zipped over from the edge of the box.

Butland came to his side's rescue again to deny Buckley but from the resulting corner a free Matthew Upson header found the top corner on 62 minutes.

There was now more urgency amongst the hosts and their supporters after being booed off at half time.

A slight break in play followed as referee James Linington had to be replaced by Fourth Official Charles Breakspear.

Paddy McCourt made way for Stephen Dawson on 74 minutes as the Reds looked to secure midfield. Not too long after, Jim O'Brien came on for the brilliant Jacob Mellis on 76 minutes.

The Seagulls came fairly close as Ramage's sliced clearance fell for Barnes but his overhead kick drifted harmlessly wide.

A leveller seemed almost certain when Buckley beat the offside trap and did well to turn inside the area to leave  Ramage on the deck but he couldn't beat Butland on 87 minutes.

A minimum of seven minutes was the perfect tonic for Brighton to try and haul themselves level and Barnsley had to stand firm.

The final change for the Reds saw Kelvin Etuhu - who had been instrumental in midfield - replaced by Jason Scotland.

The final whistle brought relief and three points for the Reds after a solid, gutsy, determined end to the tie.


Brighton: Kuszczak, Ward, Upson, Greer, Bruno, Bridcutt, Crofts, Forster-Caskey (Buckley 46), David (Agustien 64), Conway, Barnes (Lita 82).  
Subs: Brezovan, El-Abd, Calderon, Ince, Lita.  

Reds: Butland, Wiseman, Kennedy, Cranie, Ramage, Perkins, Cywka, Mellis (O'Brien 76), McCourt (Dawson 73), Etuhu (Scotland 90), Tudgay.  
Subs: Hassell, O'Brien, Dibble, M'voto, Fox.  

Referee: James Linington  
Assistant Referees: Ian Cooper & John O'Brien  
Fourth Official: Charles Breakspear.

Attendance: 25 759 (181 Reds fans)

Advertisement block