Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Blackpool v Reds: Full Time

9 August 2013

Blackpool 1 (Golbourne o.g. 90)
Reds 0

Barnsley dominated Blackpool but were robbed at the death with a lucky own goal that denied them their deserved point at the seaside, although their lack of cutting edge in attack means it’s now five hours without a goal in the 2013/14 season.

The hosts put the pressure on and forced Barnsley to clear desperately as the Tangerines came forwards. Isaiah Osbourne volleyed wide after the Reds failed to clear a corner, at the other end a Perkins effort went just as close to the top corner as he latched onto a neat lay-off.

Chris O’Grady was the next to have a pop but he could only hit the ball into the ground after Digby had won the ball for his side with a strong challenge.

It was Barnsley’s turn to put the pressure on as they evened up the early stages, Digby and O’Grady were linking up well with Perkins as the Reds forced a corner that had to be clawed away from goal by Gilks as it seemed to swerve towards goal.

With half an hour gone it took a superb block from David Perkins to deny Bobby Grant what looked to be a certain goal as he controlled well down the left-hand side of the area.

The Reds forced a corner on 33 minutes which was taken quickly and soon found its way to the feet of Cywka who took his time before planting a shot the wrong side of the post from 12 yards.

As the clock ticked down to half time, Blackpool created their best chance as Chopra’s cross – which went right across the face of goal from the right – was begging to be turned home but no tangerine shirt arrived.

Second half

Three minutes after the break saw the Reds spring an excellent counter attack through Dawson and then Golbourne who crossed for O'Grady but he got under his effort 12 yards out and cooped over.

Jason Scotland came on for the Reds with 13 minutes gone in the second half, replacing a frustrated Chris Dagnall.

Ecclestone and Osbourne had half chances for the Seasiders but didn’t trouble Steele. At the other end Scotland wasted a glorious opportunity with a free header as he connected with Golbourne’s pinpoint delivery, but he powered over four minutes past the hour.

Jacob Mellis replaced Paul Digby in midfield for the Reds as they looked to up the tempo even more and find the elusive opener.

Blackpool forced a couple of corners after Ferguson fired a free-kick straight at the Barnsley wall – this tie seemed destined to end goalless.

With ten minutes to play the Reds piled on the pressure down the left with Golbourne, Perkins and Scotland linking up well to force a corner. 

Gilks was finally properly tested on 83 minutes as Scotland cracked a low effort at his near post from the right, forcing the ‘keeper to parry it out for a corner.

For all of Barnsley’s dominance they let slip right at the death when a long throw-in by Robinson wasn’t cleared and it appeared Golbourne may have got the last touch.


Blackpool: Gilks, Broadfoot, MacKenzie, Cathcart, Robinson, Ferguson, Osbourne, Basham, Grant (Ecclestone 61 (Barkhuizen 83)), Chopra, Davies (Bishop 75)
Subs: Halstead, Harris, Charles, Banvo.

Reds: Steele, Golbourne, O'Brien, Dawson, O'Grady, Perkins, Dagnall (Scotland 58), Wiseman, Digby (Mellis 64), Cywka (Noble-Lazarus 79), M'Voto. 
Subs: Kennedy, Alnwick, McNulty, Cofie. 

Referee: Stephen Martin 
Assistant Referees: Gary Hilton & Jonathan Hunt 
Fourth Official: Kevin Mattocks

Advertisement block