Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 13/04/2013

13 April 2013

Reds 0 (Dawson sent off 62, Kennedy sent off 85)
Charlton 6 (Pritchard 4, Jackson 19, Kermorgant 48, Harriott 59, Kerkar 80, Fuller 90)

Barnsley’s goal difference suffered a hammering as Charlton hit six past the Reds on a forgetful day at Oakwell which saw Dawson and Kennedy see red cards. It’s a good job attention can be turned to Tuesday night as Derby come to Oakwell, and the people of Barnsley can only help their side by turning out to back the Reds.

The second effort of the match saw the first goal and it was for the visitors. A cross from the right wasn’t cleared on four minutes after the visitors broke forward – Steele saved an initial shot but Pritchard was on hand to tap in from five yards.

The early goal was a shock to the system for Barnsley, who responded with a shot from O’Grady on 12 minutes that was straight at Hamer.

It was 2-0 on 19 minutes when Johnnie Jackson controlled in the box before thumping home from 12 yards. There was a hint of offside as Pritchard appeared to come from behind Stephen Foster to tee up his skipper.

Barnsley did press Charlton as they searched for a way back into the match, but a blocked Mellis free-kick just about summed up their first half.

There was a tactical switch for the Reds on 29 minutes as Jason Scotland came on for Tomasz Cywka.

Great play from Scotland meant Mellis could shoot at goal but his effort was cleared off the line from 15 yards.

On 38 minutes an expert delivery from Kennedy allowed Hassell a header at goal but it flashed wide of the far post.

Second half

Just over a minute into the second half saw Scotland thread a ball into the box for Dagnall but he sliced his effort from a tight angle. But a minute later it was game over, a free header for Kermorgant meant it was 3-0.

Hamer spilt a Dagnall bullet before his defence cleared, but it was only another half chance for the Reds.

A Foster header was tipped into the path of Dagnall but his cross was cleared as the Addicks stood resolute at the back.

Ricardo Fuller had time to bring the ball down and curl just wide from 15 yards on 57 minutes, just before Marlon Harewood came on for Chris O’Grady.

Things were summed up when Luke Steele failed to handle a vicious shot from Harriott and it found the near corner. Not too long after saw Stephen Dawson was sent off for a tackle on Kermorgant after losing the ball in midfield. This was a bad, bad day for the Reds and Tuesday can’t come quick enough.

Things just weren’t dropping for the Reds, Dagnall and Foster were both denied from inside the six-yard box as Flitcroft’s brave side tried to salvage something.

Number five came on 80 minutes. The Reds were just too vulnerable having lost a man. Kerkar the substitute tapped in whilst free in the box from eight yards.

What home supporters remained still gave their rendition of Bob Marley’s famous track; an acknowledgement that this was just a bad day at the office for the Reds – who have been simply sensational under the guidance of David Flitcroft.

The misery piled on the Reds as Tom Kennedy was sent off for apparently being the last man. With five minutes to play.
Salt was well and truly rubbed into the wounds when Fuller curled home after a loose ball kindly fell into his path.

Full time


Reds: Steele, Wiseman, Foster, Hassell, Kennedy (Sent off 85), Mellis (O’Brien 59), Dawson (sent off 62), Perkins, Cywka (Scotland 29), O'Grady (Harewood 57), Dagnall. 
Subs: Alnwick, Jones, Rose, Cranie. 

Charlton: Hamer, Hughes, Jackson (Gower 65), Morrison, Pritchard, Wiggins, Kermorgant (Obika 65), Fuller, Solly, Harriott (Kerkar 78), Dervite-Vaussoue. 
Subs: Button, Taylor, Green, Wilson. 

Referee: Geoff Eltringham 
Assistant Referees: Paul Graham & Paul Thompson 
Fourth Official: Scott Duncan

Attendance: 9469

Advertisement block