Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Half Time at Ewood Park

18 September 2012

Midway point of clash

Blackburn Rovers 1 (Rhodes 45)

Blackburn found an equaliser and it was totally against the run of play. A free-kick was floated in and found its way to Rhodes, who just doesn’t miss from ten yards out as he lofted over Alnwick for an undeserved equaliser.

Keith Hill’s side were just too much for Blackburn and John Stones showed just why his manager rates him so well with a wonderful turn on the edge of the box before keeping possession.

Finally Barnsley got the goal they deserved on 31 minutes and in in thunderous fashion from Jacob Mellis. Dagnall flicked a sumptuous pass into the path of Mellis who absolutely lashed into the near post of Robinson, giving the former England man no chance.

The Reds goalkeeper was tested properly on the half-hour mark from Olsson’s vicious strike after a driving run down the left.

Barnsley were all over their opponents with Cywka making a mockery of the Rovers midfield before feeding Davies but his strike was straight at Robinson when fairly well positioned on 24 minutes.

A break in play came moments later when Dagnall and Robinson both went into a 50-50 for Golbourne’s delicious cross as Barnsley went on the offensive yet again. At the other end Rochina sent in a warning shot from distance but Alnwick was more than comfortable in gathering the ball.

minute when Rhodes caught Foster in possession, the £8million man found the angle too acute, though, with his low effort going wide. th The hosts’ first chance didn’t come until the 18

But for the next five minutes, Barnsley bossed proceedings and Dagnall was almost away into the box but for a late flag. Barnsley worked their way up to the edge of Rovers’ box on 11 minutes but Cywka’s drive drifted wide. It was certainly an encouraging start from Barnsley.

Mellis was gifted a chance on four minutes but was thwarted by Robinson when one-on-one. Davies capitalised but was blocked by a great challenge from Dann. It was a glorious opening for the Reds so early on and would be lucky to have another chance of a similar nature.

After a completely dominant display from Barnsley, leaving the home fans jeering their team, the Reds found themselves level after a Jordan Rhodes equaliser late in the first half. Keith Hill must have been scratching his head as to how his side weren’t in the lead, and comfortably.

Barnsley 1 (Mellis 31)

Referee: S. Mathieson

Subs: Steele, Digby, Perkins, Etuhu, Harewood, Done, Noble-Lazarus.
Reds: Alnwick, Stones, Foster, Wiseman, Golbourne, Mellis, Cywka, Dawson, Cranie, Dagnall, Davies.

Subs: Kean, Lowe, Dunn, Henrique, Gomes, Ribero, Nunes.
Blackburn Rovers: Robinson, Orr, M. Olsson, Formica, Rhodes, Pedersen, Murphy, Dann, Etuhu, Rochina, Hanley.

Advertisement block