Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Half Time: Bolton v Reds

17 November 2012

Midway point at Reebok

Bolton 1 (K. Davies 25)
Reds 0

Despite having the better chances Barnsley were behind at the halfway point against Bolton with Kevin Davies breaking the deadlock on 25 minutes.

Eagles tried his luck from an acute angle but fired well wide on just two minutes to register the first effort of the match but Barnsley got settled into the swing of things after another scare at the back moments alter.

Marcus Tudgay tested Bogdan on eight minutes from the right-hand side after dispossessing Knight on the edge of the box. Davies then got in on the act to force Bogdan into another save low to his right with a 22-yard drive for the Reds’ second effort on target in the space of 60 seconds.

Bogdan dropped a clanger on 13 minutes when he failed to handle a Mellis corner, but Tudgay was just beaten the ball by Ricketts. It was all Barnsley by the 15-minute mark and Tudgay got on the end of Golbourne’s sweet delivery but just couldn’t cushion his header below the crossbar.

Confidence looked like it had never been away as the Reds kept the ball well and eventually Done fired at goal from a full 35 yards on 21 minutes with Bogdan saving smartly to his right.

After all that, Barnsley give the ball away and Bolton score. Done’s stray pass found one of the most dangerous wingers in the Championship in Chris Eagles and he crossed to one of the most experienced strikers in the Championship, Kevin Davies. The big frontman got in his side’s first effort on target from eight yards and he didn’t miss with 25 minutes gone.

In response, Craig Davies curled wide with a 30-yard free-kick and it was important that Hill’s side kept their heads high after a positive start.

On 32 minutes Steele comfortably dealt with a Ricketts curler moments before an Eagles shot went straight at him. Steele looked absolutely furious with Wiseman and his defence.

Half time
Bolton: Bogdan, Ricketts, Warnock (Mears 33), Knight, Mills, Spearing, M. Davies, Butterfield, Eagles, Ngog, K. Davies.
Subs: Lynch, Mears, Ream, Andrews, Pratley, Lee, Afobe.
Reds: Steele, Golbourne, Wiseman, McNulty, Cranie, Dawson, Mellis, O'Brien, Done, C. Davies, Tudgay.
Subs: Alnwick, Dagnall, Harewood, Cywka, Noble-Lazarus, Foster, Kennedy.
Referee: Carl Berry
Assistant Referees: Ian Hussin and William Smallwood.

Advertisement block