Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Rotherham 2 Barnsley 1

21 July 2012

Pre-season continues on Tuesday as the Reds travel to Stocksbridge for a 7:30pm kick-off. 

The latter part of the half was just about all Clark for the Reds with the midfielder dragging just wide from O’Brien’s delivery before in the dying few minutes the youngster opted to square instead of shooting when well positioned.

With 15 left to play Etuhu tried to catch Shearer off his line with a 25-yard dink but his effort landed on the roof of the net.

It was great to see several youngster performing exceptionally well for Hill’s side, with Stones looking more than capable in at right-back and the introduction of Clark to slot alongside Digby in midfield. And Clark himself came so close on 66 when his effort was tipped onto the post by Shearer after a clever turn on the edge of the box.

After the break Odejayi was almost in again after a great take-down but he scuffed his attempt from 10 yards. The Millers thought they had added a third but somehow Alnwick clawed away a loose header after the ball appeared to move in slow motion towards the line.

Another two chances fell the way of the Reds with Davies curling just over before Done saw his volley smartly saved by Shearer but it was the former Tyke Odejayi who would bag the next goal. The big striker rounded Alnwick before making sure of the finish on the stroke of half time.

But the Reds’ lead only lasted one minute as David Noble latched onto Nardiello’s prod into the box, the midfielder tucked home from 12 yards.

Three minutes later and Mellis smashed in the first goal to be seen at the New York Stadium with 37 gone, and what a goal, too. Golbourne picked up possession out on the left before finding Mellis and the midfielder exchanged a one-two with Davies before hammering into the bottom-left corner from 20-yards.

Again it was Nardiello for the home side causing bother – forcing Alnwick into a neat save after the striker had wriggled his way into the left-hand side of the box on 34.

At the other end Nardiello tried a 25-yard chip before Digby forced Shearer into a fantastic save with a powerful, rising drive.

Barnsley settled into the match after some early Rotherham pressure and Davies went even closer on 24 minutes after the striker did well to retain a long ball forward by Mellis.

The Millers started brightly and probably should have taken the lead with five minutes on the watch through Nardiello, who wasted a six-yard header from a wickedly delivered free-kick. The Reds replied through Craig Davies on eight minutes after drifting in from the left but his 25-yarder went wide.

Jacob Mellis scored the Reds’ only goal – the first goal at the New York Stadium – with a fantastic drive from 20 yards after some neat build-up play.

Old boys Danny Nardiello and Kayode Odejayi lined up for the Millers, with the latter notching his side’s equaliser before the hosts went in front and held on for 2-1.

Rotherham United came back to town as the New York Stadium was unveiled, and Barnsley were very much glad to be a part of it in what was another great run-out for Keith Hill’s side.

(Mellis 37)Barnsley 1
(Noble 38, Odejayi 45)Rotherham United 2

Shearer, Hunt, Wilson, Sharps, Mullins, Arnason, Noble, Pringle, Rose, Nardiello, Odejayi.Rotherham Utd:

Alnwick, Stones, Collins, McNulty, Golbourne, Digby, Mellis, Done, Dagnall, O’Brien, Davies. Barnsley:

Advertisement block