Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 28/08/2012

28 August 2012

Solid Performance but out of Cup

The ball was zipping around on the drenched surface following a downpour ahead of kick-off in South Wales with the first chance coming after 14 minutes from the Reds. Tomasz Cywka took aim from distance and forced Tremmel into a save before Mellis himself powered one at goal after breezing past three Swans players. 

Michael Laudrup’s side will know they’ve been in a match as the Reds fought back to 2-1 before Bobby Hassell cracked the crossbar in the second half but a defensive error proved costly with the hosts sealing a 3-1 victory in the end to go through to the third round of the League Cup just as the big boys enter the draw. 

Keith Hill must have wanted a reaction from his side tonight after the performance at Brighton and he will be more than pleased after taking the game to Premier League Swansea City at the Liberty Stadium. 

Reds 1 (Hassell 69) 
Swansea 3 (Graham 24, Moore 59, 88) 

It was a tremendous start from Hill’s men considering the Swans are yet to concede a goal this season and find themselves second in the Premier League. It was such a shame, however, that Swansea’s first real threat resulted in a goal. Danny Graham bundled home probably the easiest goal of his career after Luke Moore powered a header from Rangel’s cross into the striker’s pass on 24 minutes. 

Alnwick first touch of the ball, after picking it out of the net, was a punch clear of Dyer’s venomous 20 yard effort. The Reds replied, though, as Cywka cracked a well-controlled volley towards Tremmel’s left-and post only for the German to save whilst cracking his head on the post for his troubles. 

The Reds were by no means letting up in the shots department and were looking positive and sharp in the final third. Davies turned on a sixpence to crack wide on 35 moments before Moore planted a header wide of Alnwick’s left-hand post but it was the Tykes who registered the last effort of the half with Dawson firing wide from a great take-down by Davies. 

Second half


Barnsley carried on where they left off in the second period with positive, attacking play as Mellis pulled the strings down the centre. Unfortunately, Swansea’s first attempt of the second half saw them double their lead on 59 minutes. A right-wing delivery seemed to fall  behind Moore but the big striker did well to control, turn and curl home for 2-0 and what seemed like game over.

On came Marlon Harewood and Jordan Clark for the Reds – two substitutes that made a real impact with the former latching onto Bobby Hassell’s header to haul his side back into the match. There was confusion as to who will actually claim the goal, but it did appear big Marlon got a clanking touch to the Reds’ stalwart’s nod-down just before the hour. 

On 75 minutes Chris Dagnall’s work rate created a glorious opportunity as he chased down the Swansea backline, his interception appeared to put himself in on Tremmel but the German rushed like lightning off his line to clear the danger. 

Two minutes later the Reds almost found themselves level thanks to a glorious strike from Bobby Hassell. Cywka sent Dagnall away down the left, his pass then found youngster Clark who squared to Hassell 30 yards out but his vicious effort bounced agonisingly off the bar and away from what would have been all square. 

Luke Moore almost found himself in on goal but for Cranie’s last ditch tackle in the area although the big forward had far less work to do with his second and his side’s third in the 88 th minute as a Reds player passed the ball into his path two yards from goal for him to slot home. 
It was far from a disgrace from Keith Hill’s side as they worked hard and created chances against the Swans and found themselves on a deceivingly harsh score-line of 3-1.  

Swansea: Tremmel, Bartley, Tate, Graham (Dobbie 56), Dyer, Moore, De Guzman, Rangel (Richards 56), Sung-Yeung (Gower 75), Agustien, Davies.

Teams: Subs: Vorm, Williams, Michu, Lita.  

Reds: Alnwick, Stones, Wiseman, Cranie, Golbourne, Hassell, Dawson, Mellis (Clark 63), Cywka, Dagnall, Davies (Harewood 63).  
Subs: Lidakevicius, Rose, Foster, Etuhu, Collins.  

Fourth Official: Kevin Johnson
Assistant Referees: Derek Eaton & Marc Perry 

Referee: Simon Hooper

Advertisement block