Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Full time from the Keepmoat

4 August 2012

Donny Rovers 2 Barnsley 2

Maxted, Morgan-Smith, Stock, Mullen, McCormick, Ball, Hawley, Blake.Subs:
G. Woods, Syers, Husband, Spurr, Jones, Coppinger, Harper, M. Woods, Cotterill, Brown, Bennett. Doncaster Rovers:


August. th The match slowed down in the dying embers and the Reds are next in action away to Crewe on Tuesday 7

After a nightmare start in terms of injuries with Mido replaced by Silva and then Silva himself coming off injured, Perkins was withdrawn with blood gushing from his head with five minutes to play.

Donny had started to ease into the second half and were putting the Reds under more pressure as time wore on.

On 77 minutes Rovers were level when Syers had an empty net to volley into after Alnwick was shoved out of the way by a Rovers man as a corner was whipped in.

Finally Davies found the net and it was thanks to a perfectly weighted pass from Jim O’Brien that sent the number nine straight down the middle. Davies kept his cool and calmly slotted past the onrushing Woods from 15 yards with less than 20 left to play.

Five minutes later Davies should have sent his side into the lead but spurned a decent eight-yard chance down the left channel. It was all Barnsley from the restart. Barely sixty seconds later, Davies dragged just wide of Woods as he went one-on-one with the Rovers ‘keeper.

Five minutes after the restart, Craig Davies sent Matty Done in only for his dink to be well smothered by Woods, Davies leapt onto the rebound but could only curl straight at the recovering Woods.

Barnsley responded and were level thanks to the persistence of Stephen Foster in the Donny box. Etuhu and O’Brien exchanged passes before Foster found himself next to the byline, the centre-half turned like as striker as he fizzed in a cross which Rob Jones could do nothing with except turn into his own net.

Kyle Bennett drove down the left on 12 minutes before unleashing a shot at goal only for it to be deflected into the path of Woods who controlled before sending a deflected effort past the helpless Alnwick.

The Reds started brightly and Kelvin Etuhu registered the first shot of the match as he curled at goal from 25 yards, his attempt had to be gathered at the second attempt by Gary Woods.

Two goals from two Rovers players actually saw the scores level at the midway point of the match – Rob Jones’ own goal cancelling out Martin Woods’ deflected opener. But Rovers themselves had to find a leveller after Craig Davies coolly slotted home in front of the travelling Reds fans.

The Reds are running down the home straight as pre-season enters its final few days and Keith Hill’s side today played out a competitive 2-2 draw with League One Doncaster Rovers at the Keepmoat Stadium.

Doncaster Rovers 2  (Woods 12, Syers 77)
Barnsley 2 (Jones o.g. 25, Davies 71)

Alnwick, Stones (Hassell 58), Wiseman, Foster, McNulty, Perkins (Collins 85), Mellis (Digby 58), Done, Etuhu (Dagnall 70), Davies, Silva (O’Brien 17).Reds:

Advertisement block