Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:30 (UK)

Buy tickets
04 December 2018 Venue Oakwell Attendance

Kick off 19:30 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League Trophy

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

REPORT: Barnsley 3-3 Man City U21s (City win 5-3 on penalties)

4 December 2018

The Reds exit the Checkatrade Trophy with penalty shootout defeat at Oakwell.

In what was a thrilling, end-to-end cup tie and one that the Reds should probably have emerged victorious in considering the opportunities they had, but the match was decided by penalties, with the young City side edging the shootout.

Barnsley had taken the lead on 17 minutes when a fantastic right wing run and cross by Jordan Williams was slotted in by Victor Adeboyejo inside the six yard box.

There were further chances for Brad Potts, Cauley Woodrow and Mike Bähre in a dominant first half but the opportunities were squandered and the visitors hurt the Reds at the end of the first half, equalising through Rabbi Matondo who squeezed a shot beyond Adam Davies after a jinking run.

HALF TIME: Barnsley 1-1 City 21s

City went 2-1 ahead on 59 minutes when Poveda was allowed space to run into and from 30 yards out he let fly with a left-footed effort that screamed into the bottom left-hand corner giving Davies no chance. 

But Barnsley levelled immediately..

It was a delicate chipped ball over the defence by Bähre which saw Williams get in behind his marker to finish low and hard beyond the 'keeper.

Alex Mowatt was introduced in place of Bähre and he soon assisted the Reds' third goal with an inswinging corner that Liam Lindsay nodded home into the far corner of the net.

On 67 minutes Woodrow was tripped inside the box and he stepped up to put the game beyond City. However, his powerful penalty kick was too close to 'keeper Scott who parried it away and the Reds would be made to pay for this missed opportunity.

Less than 10 minutes later, City countered at speed and it was Poveda who grabbed the equaliser with his second of the night, finishing with his left foot from close range for 3-3.

Mowatt and Woodrow both went close to giving Barnsley the lead but the match went to penalties. 

And the away side won through, 5-3 in the end with Mamadou Thiam's saved spot-kick the difference. 

FULL TIME: Barnsley 3-3 City U21s (City 5-3 on pens)

Davies, J.Williams, Pinnock, Lindsay, Pinillos, Potts, Bähre (Mowatt), Bird (Moore), Thiam, Woodrow (Brown), Adeboyejo.

Att: 3,070

Advertisement block

Advertisement block