Skip to main content


19:11 6th April 2012


Barnsley 0
West Ham 4 (Nolan 7, Maynard 23, Noble 35, Vaz Te 55)

West Ham stormed into a first-half lead and it was enough to see them through the 90, winning 4-0 with former Tyke Vaz Te capping the Hammers' victory. It was certainly a performance to forget from Barnsley's point of view - who have now lost six out of the last seven.

A tremendous atmosphere greeted the two sides, meeting for the first time at Oakwell since that glorious summer afternoon where the Reds were welcomed into the Premier League in August 1997.

It was the visitors who posed the most threat in the opening few minutes, just about managing to force a corner. From the resulting delivery, Nolan had the freedom of the area to prod home on six minutes after, in fact, the ball even managed to bounce before it reached the Hammers' skipper.

Craig Davies forced a smart save from Green on 10 minutes after the former England international could only half clear. Green got down well to his left to deny Davies' vicious 30-yard strike.

With 23 minutes on the clock Nicky Maynard took matters into his own hands and finished off a fine goal. Exchanging passes with Nolan before hammering in from 25-yards.

It was 3-0 on 35 minutes and the Reds needed a miracle. Mark Noble had a simple task to dink into an empty net after confusion between Button and Foster.

Second half

Into the second half it wasn't long until the Hammers added a fourth. George McCartney drove down the left before hammering at goal on his right, Button managed to palm the ball away but Ricardo Vaz Te reacted quickest to prod home. There was no celebration from the former Tyke in front of the Ponty End.

After Demel cleared Davies' dangerous cross, Maynard unleashed a thunderbolt that hammered Button's crossbar after finding himself in acres of space.

Keith Hill made all three changes with Perkins back from injury coming on, as well as Collins and O'Brien in a bid to claw back some pride.

West Ham's organisation and work-rate was second to none, leaving the Reds little opportunity to get in behind. With Higginbotham looking to worm his way in, there was simply no way through with five blue shirts outmuscling the forward 25 yards from goal.

Just two minutes later Higginbotham flicked Cotterill's free-kick towards the far stick, but with Green stranded, it flashed just a foot wide of the left-hand post.

With the clock ticking down, Jim O'Brien tried to salvage some pride with a rasping effort from distance, but Green was equal to it and palmed his 30-yarder away for a corner.


Button, Foster, Dawson, Davies (Smith 64), Wiseman, McNulty, Smith (O'Brien 64), Cotterill, Higginbotham, Golbourne (L. Collins 61), Gray.
Subs: Lidakevicius, Tonge.

West Ham: Green, Reid, McCartney, Nolan, Tomkins, Maynard, Vaz Te, Taylor, Noble (Bouba Diop), Demel (D. Collins 59), O'Neil (Lansbury 70).
Subs: Baldock, Cole.

Referee: Tony Bates
Assistant Referees: Chris Kavanagh and Tony Peart
    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.