Skip to main content


16:56 6th November 2011


Brighton 2 (Greer 43, Harley 57)
Barnsley 0

Possession and chances galore but no luck meant the Reds lost out at the Amex by two goals to nil. It was Barnsley's first visit to the brand new Amex Stadium, their first trip to Brighton in nearly eight years.

Two world-class saves, the cross-bar and two goal-line clearances denied the Reds anything as the Seagulls ended their recent poor run with two rebounded goals.

The Amex Stadium served an impeccable minute's silence ahead of Armistice day after an electric build-up to kick-off. The hosts pressed from the off and saw efforts from Mackail-Smith and Noone blocked in the opening five minutes but Barnsley did ease into the game and a spell of possession in Brighton's half eventually saw a corner forced, in which Addison glanced wide.

Another strike apiece saw Harley hit the side netting and then Perkins hit the bar. It was a delicate 20-yard clip from the midfielder, that had Harper scrambling. The Seagulls stopper was then called into action on 18, palming away a Butterfield effort and around for a corner.

Quick thinking in the 36th minute from Noone saw the Plymouth man fly into the area before unleashing a low shot towards the far stick - Paynter was lurking but the effort zipped wide of Steele's left-hand post.

Greer poked his side into the lead just before half time after a dangerous ball wasn't properly cleared. The Seagulls captain capitalised in the area to give his side the lead.

Second half

A steady re-start eventually saw half a chance and it came the Reds' way. Butterfield wormed his way into the area and pulled back for Gray, who was blocked off well before managing to fire on goal.

When Mackail-Smith was in on Steele with 55 gone, there seemed to be only one outcome - and Steele had other ideas. A phenomenal save saw Barnsley's number one, who has unquestionably staked his claim for a call-up to the England squad, tip the Scotland international's effort onto the bar. Luck was not on the Reds' side, however, and Harley popped up to hammer in the rebound.

The Reds did respond, and if luck wasn't on their side before, it certainly wasn't on 62 minutes. Substitute Vaz Te showed great improvisation to latch onto Done's cross but a sensational goal-line clearance denied a Barnsley lifeline.

Keith Hill's side certainly hadn't given up, and were stretching the hosts on 70 minutes. In the space of a minute, Done had an effort cleared from just in front of the line and then Vaz Te failed to connect properly with a header when more than well positioned. It just wasn't the Reds' day.

As the remaining few minutes slipped away, Paynter flashed over and then Butterfield forced Harper to pull off a stop from the top-drawer. The Reds' skipper let fly left-footed from 25 yard but the experience stopper tipped his effort away from the top-left corner.

A booking for Drinkwater means the energetic midfielder will miss our South Yorkshire derby with Doncaster Rovers at Oakwell in two weeks' time.


Harper, Greer, Dunk, Navarro, Noone (Buckley 81), Mackail-Smith, Paynter, Calderon, Harley (Barnes 79), Bridcutt, Taricco.
Subs: Ankergren, Lua Lua, Vincelot.

The Reds: Steele, Wiseman, McEveley, Foster, McNulty, Addison (Done 62), Butterfield, Drinkwater, Perkins, Davies (Vaz Te 60), Gray.
Subs: Preece, Edwards, Doyle.

Referee: K. Wright

Attendance: 19,841 (840 Reds supporters)

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.