Skip to main content


21:40 9th August 2011


The Reds 0
Morecambe 2 (Carlton 50, Ellison 86)

Any hopes of a cup run to generate some invaluable revenue were left in tatters as League Two Morecambe dumped the Reds out of the Carling Cup 2-0 at Oakwell.

It certainly wasn't for the lack of trying - Barnsley squandering several great chances in the opening half in particular.

New Manager Keith Hill took to the dugout for the first time at Oakwell, and faced his former employers as these two sides met for the first time in their history.

All eight of Hill's signings made their home débuts at some stage, with Edwards, McNulty, Addison, Vaz Te, and Davies all starting.

After some neat, patient build-up from the Reds, their first attempt came on the stroke of six minutes. Butterfield was the man to fire a 20 yard shot wide after a great run in from the right.

Barnsley were keeping the ball and waiting for the perfect opening, but Vaz Te fancied a half chance on the volley - testing Roche who got down well to save on nine minutes.

Roche was to deny the Reds for a second time from Butterfield on 12 minutes, and barely 30 seconds later, the young midfielder saw a deflected effort drift just wide with Roche at full stretch.

The first attempt from the visitors came on 13 minutes through Allasandra, his strike on the turn flew well over, although it was a nice move down the Shrimps' right.

A glorious opportunity was presented to McDonald who was in one-on-one with 17 gone - in fairness to the striker, who placed his shot wide, it was a tight angle.

Hassell saw his name go into referee Mark Brown's book for hauling back his man after getting the ball caught under his feet.

Just after the half-hour mark and Vaz Te unleashed a 25 yard drive that fizzed wide after a great touch to give himself space. Possession certainly wasn't the problem for Barnsley, they were just waiting for the net to bulge.

A great cross from Club Captain Hassell was delivered right onto the head of Vaz Te on 35 minutes, the Portuguese forward got right underneath it though, and blazed over from seven yards.

Two more efforts for the Reds came from Vaz Te and Haynes, but Barnsley were firing blanks, along with some neat goalkeeping from Morecambe's Irish 'keeper.

Second half

Barely sixty seconds on the clock in the second period and Vaz Te was driving forward once again. Roche was scrambling away to his right as the forward low, 25 yard drive flew a couple of feet wide.

Five minutes after the interval and it was Morecambe who would take the lead. Danny Carlton pounced on a right wing delivery from Reid - he simply couldn't miss from seven yards after the cross squirmed past two bodies.

The Shrimps had suddenly found some confidence following the opener, and Allasandra tried his luck from 25 yards, but his right-footed drive flew wide of the post.

An in-swinging corner from Butterfield landed on the head of Haynes who couldn't direct it down at the near post on 55 minutes.

Former Morecambe favourite David Perkins was introduced for Vaz Te in the middle of the park - the Portuguese midfielder looked lively for the Reds on his full, home début. A couple of minutes later and Matt Done was thrown on for Craig Davies in attack.

Haynes pounced on a poor backpass but just couldn't capitalise as Roche recovered well, the Reds were looking frustrated and were in desperate need of a goal.

Chances dried up at both ends, and the Reds' possession in front of their opponents was looking as though it was going to count for nothing.

The Reds' hopes of a cup run was over on 86 minutes as Kevin Ellison was on hand to poke home from inside the six-yard box after gathering a poor attempt on Steele's goal.

It was certainly a night to forget for the Reds, and they will surely be looking to put things right at home to Southampton in their first home league fixture on Saturday.


The Reds: Steele, Hassell (Wiseman 75), McEveley, Edwards, McNulty, Addison, Butterfield, O'Brien, Vaz Te (Perkins 61), Davies (Done 64), Haynes.
Subs: Preece, Doyle, Foster, Wiseman, Lovre.

Roche, Fenton, Haining, Reid, Hunter, Alassandra (Ellison 73), McGready, Drummond, McDonald, Wilson, Carlton (Parrish 88).
Routledge, Fleming, Cowperthwaite, Parkinson, Charnock.

Mark Brown
Fourth Official: Nigel Smith

Referee's Assistants: S. Clayton and R. Clark

Attendance: 4331
    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.