Skip to main content


17:00 24th March 2012


Barnsley 1 (Cotterill 24, Doyle s/o 34)
Peterborough United 0

When times are tough you can point the finger or all pull together and Keith Hill's troops - more like warriors today - certainly carried out the latter. An incredible ten-man effort for a good hour was certainly worthy of the three points thanks to a sweet strike from David Cotterill.

The Welsh international Cotterill fired the only goal of the clash ten minutes before Nathan Doyle saw red for a tackle on Tomlin on 34 minutes but everyone pulled together, including the Reds faithful who were also outstanding, and Barnsley had a Championship double under their belt.

With just over 60 seconds on the clock a quick break from Cotterill to Davies and then Wiseman saw the latter deliver powerfully in at the near post only for a clearance to zip just wide and out for a corner.

The visitors' first effort came from a Grant McCann free-kick, but the former Barnsley midfielder's 30-yard effort was tame enough for Button to gobble up.

Twenty minutes in saw a counter from Peterborough and Taylor's strike after a bursting run deflected over. The Reds had enjoyed a decent spell of pressure but were almost caught out by a raid from the visitors.

Four minutes later and the Reds were in front thanks to a sweet, sweet strike from David Cotterill. Stephen Dawson released Done down the left, his cross evaded everyone except the Welsh international who showed great technique to curl into the far corner with the outside of his right foot.

But Barnsley had given themselves a massive, massive task when Nathan Doyle went in on Tomlin and saw a red card for his troubles. The fans weren't happy but Hill's side had to soldier on with ten men from 32 minutes.

A minute later, after rolling around on the floor in agony, Tomlin managed to viciously volley at goal and bring a smart, low save from Button.

Cotterill whipped in a delightful free-kick on 42 which met the head of Davies at the far post, unfortunately his effort hit the ground before bouncing over for what was almost certainly 2-0.

A McCann free-kick got things going in the second half but the Reds' wall did its job to keep the former Tyke at bay.

The atmosphere had risen to an incredible rate and the home fans' side responded. After a brief spell of harmless Peterborough pressure, Keith Hilll's ten men seemed to be going for a goal themselves but had to be on their guard.

With 20 to play, Emile Sinclair pulled of a tremendous strike with an overhead kick but his effort flew wide barely a minute before Korey Smith, fresh from the bench, hammered just wide himself at the other end.

Sinclair glanced wide on 86 but Button had it covered. 'Come on you Reds' reverberated around the stadium - a terrific backing from the Oakwell faithful who were proud of their side's effort regardless what the result turned out to be.

Ferguson's men had gone direct, knocking everything onto the head of Sinclair. Gray almost got lucky after a tremendous ball forward from Dawson down the right but Zakuani denied the striker a one-on-one with Jones.

This was sensational. Forget Leeds, this atmosphere surpassed it. You could taste the passion in the air. Incredible, spine-tingling stuff. The atmosphere was back at Oakwell.


Barnsley: Button, Doyle, Foster, Dawson, Davies (Smith 64), Done, Wiseman, McNulty, Cotterill, Golbourne, Gray.
Subs: Lidakevicius, Nouble, Collins, Higginbotham.

Peterborough: Jones, Zakuani, Tomlin (Ball 60), Boyd, McCann (Little 60), Rowe, Brisley, Barnett, Frecklington (Sinclair 68), Taylor, Alcock.
Subs: Lewis, Kearns.

Referee: Andy Haines
Assistant Referees: Philip Dermott & Amy Fearn
Fourth Official: Jason Whiteley

Attendance: 9638, (938 away)
    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.