Skip to main content


16:53 21st January 2012


The Reds 1 (McNulty 89)
Millwall 3 (Henderson pen 36, 39, 75)

The Reds will be disappointed with decision-making on the pitch as Millwall ran out 3-0 winners on a bitterly cold afternoon. Keith Hill will be happy that another home game is on the horizon as his side will have learned from today and can look on to Derby County in ten days' time.

Both sides attempted long-range punts at goal but neither goalkeeper was troubled as the cruel conditions made play difficult.

The Reds and Millwall weren't giving each other a yard of space, but Henderson was free at the far post on half an hour, but could only nod straight at Steele.

A flash of brilliance from Ricardo Vaz Te two minutes later seemed to carve the visitors open - worming his was into the box from down the right but his chip back across goal was cleared.

A tactical battle had ensued, and completely out of the blue, a penalty was awarded to the visitors from the linesman. Addison was booked for his troubles. The crowd were furious.

Darius Henderson stepped up from 12 yards and slammed home on 36 minutes.

The game had opened up and the visitors were two up three minutes later. Henderson it was again from a punt over the top, controlling well and finishing just as good from a tight angle.

Just after the fourth official's board had been hoisted for two added minutes, Bobby Hassell was found unmarked in the area from McEveley's excellent cross but the Reds' skipper scooped his header over from inside the six-yard box.

After the interval the Reds wanted a penalty before Dagnall broke and fired wide. The visitors were having to soak up the pressure and were happy to hit back on the break.

A Perkins free-kick was deflected over by the wall as the wind was still causing havoc.

On 68 minutes a Millwall third seemed a certainty when Kane went one-on-one with Steele but the Barnsley stopper blocked well and Addison cleared the danger.

Addison's looping header dipped just wide of Forde's left-hand upright after Hassell's glance back into the area.

With 15 left to play the game was wrapped up when Darius Henderson completed his hat-trick after miscommunication between the back-line and Steele. The former Sheffield United man pounced on a loose ball and finished with aplomb.

As the clock ticked down the silver lining showed for McNulty when the centre-half finished like a striker from Vaz Te's lay-off.


Steele, Hassell (Wiseman 62), McEveley, Foster, McNulty, Addison, Perkins, Dagnall (Done 62), Davies (Taylor 52), Vaz Te, Gray.
Subs: Preece, Edwards.

Milwall: Forde, Craig, Trotter, Henderson, Bouazza (Henry 66), Feeney, Barron, Ward, Smith, Abdou, Kane.
Subs: Mildenhall, Marquis, N'Guessan, Wright.

Referee: James Adcock
Assistant Referees: Peter Gooch & Peter Wright
Fourth Official: Ian Hussin

Attendance: 9,185 (301 away)

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.