Skip to main content


17:00 26th November 2011


Leeds Utd 1 (McCormack 55)
Barnsley 2 (Vaz Te 27, Davies 43)

The Reds made it a derby double in the space of a week as they sent Leeds packing with a professional performance at Elland Road - hanging on at the end with ten men to claim their first win in Leeds since 1990.

Ricardo Vaz Te and Craig Davies were the heroes, who both struck in the first half.

A second Yorkshire derby in the space of a week got underway at Elland Road and the Reds were unchanged from last week's Donny victory.

It was a cagey and scrappy opening with three free-kicks in as many minutes, and the only half chance falling for Snodgrass who zipped a 30 yarder well wide. A reply from the Reds came through Jim O'Brien as the Scot flashed a header wide when well positioned to meet Vaz Te's left-wing centre.

As Leeds pressed the Reds it was thought Mr Salisbury would point to the spot as White went tumbling under Hassell's 'challenge' but the referee, in fact, brandished a yellow card to the United man.

Vaz Te popped up with his third goal of the season be it with a slice of luck on 27 minutes. O'Brien drilled in a superb ball from the right after being found by the clever throw of Hassell and found the Portuguese attacker, who hit his effort into the ground and over the flailing arm of McCarthy.

The hosts went close on 35 after a real scramble in the Reds' area, but Bobby Hassell threw himself into the way of Kisnorbo's shot from 15 yards.

The game still really hadn't settled as half-time loomed, but the Reds wanted another goal and got one through Davies. Butterfield cracked in a stinging shot that was too hot to handle for McCarthy and Davies made it five in five for himself and 2-0 to the Reds two minutes before the break.

There was still time for Leeds to flash a shot over, but their fans weren't happy as Hill's Red Army marched into the dressing room with a two-goal lead.

Second half

Just as was expected, Leeds came out of the traps fairly quickly and had struck the woodwork by the 48th minute. Snodgrass bent in a great shot, beating Steele, but his effort clipped the post and drifted away for a throw-inn.

As the first period was fairly slow, the beginning of the second was the total opposite - fast and frantic - as the next goal would be vital.

Leeds had a great opportunity to get back into the match with a 25 yard free-kick and they didn't waste the opportunity on 55 minutes. McCormack bent in a marvellous strike into Steele's top right-hand corner.

With 64 gone Nile Ranger was introduced for his Barnsley debut in place of Davies - Drinkwater also came on for Vaz Te.

Ranger showed his class and strength to eventually find O'Brien whose ball into the box only wanted the slightest of touches from Done who had flown into the area - it would have been game over on 78 minutes.

McEveley took matters into his own hands two minutes later as he hammered a 25 yarder at goal but McCarty parried the left-back's effort away and right at the other end Snodgrass had time to fire wide from distance - the game had really opened up as the clock ticked away.

There was a second yellow card for David Perkins for hauling back Keogh as the forward tried a run on goal - Barnsley were looking to hang on.

After Jay McEveley allowed Snodgrass in down the left, Steele rescued the Reds with a sublime one-on-one save to deny Nunez and Leeds a point.

The full time whistle brought jubilation to the travelling faithful - who had forked out a small fortune to see their Red Army claim the points in West Yorkshire.


McCarthy, Connolly, Kisnorbo, Becchio (Keogh 68), Sam (Nunez 57), Howson, Clayton, Lees, Snodgrass, White, McCormack (Pugh 74).
Subs: Taylor, Bromby.

The Reds: Steele, Hassell, McEveley, Foster, O'Brien, Davies (Ranger 64), Done (Wiseman 90), Perkins, McNulty, Vaz Te (Drinkwater 64), Butterfield.
Subs: Preece, Haynes.

Referee: G Salisbury.
Assistant Referees: K Mattocks & G Stott.

Attendance: 25,900 (1,255 from the Red Army)

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.