Skip to main content


16:56 19th November 2011


The Reds 2 (Davies 30, 64)
Doncaster 0

A double from Craig Davies helped destroy Doncaster in the South Yorkshire derby at Oakwell. It could have been a lot more as Rovers were reduced to ten men late on and the Reds were playing some first-class football.

With both sets of fans in great voice in the winter sun, Jacob Butterfield attempted a smart chip on three minutes but his effort sailed just over. Just two minutes later saw the first yellow card as O'Connor cynically hacked down Done as the Reds looked to break.

Ikeme was then forced into a marvellous save on five minutes as Butterfield cracked in a beauty from 30 yards, the Wolves loanee palmed the strike away from the top corner.

The Reds had Rovers on the ropes and all that was needed was a goal - possession, precision passing and looking a threat going forward, all the ingredients were there.

Vaz Te then had O'Connor scrambling on 12 minutes before forcing Ikeme to tip the ball round his near post.

The away side finally saw a couple of passages of play, but never came close with any efforts on goal. But again Done who was looking lively and Naylor was the next player booked as he halted Done's bursting run.

With half an hour gone the Reds deservedly took the lead and it was thanks to the sheer power and determination of Craig Davies. The big striker pounced on a long punt and shrugged off Martis before coolly planting under Ikeme - it was a fine finish and the Reds were well worthy of their lead.

Martis limped off for Lockwood with 32 gone and the away end had gone quiet as the Reds bossed the tempo until half time.

Second half

The Reds came flying out of the traps for the second period and were threatening down the left from the off. McEveley cracked one in to see it blocked before Butterfield drilled just wide with Ikeme sprawling to his right.

Vaz Te sent a rocket wide after steaming forward, and Rovers hit back but couldn't capitalise on a goal-mouth scramble.

Finally the second goal came and I was that man Craig Davies again. Phenomenal persistence from Done down the left allowed the little winger to dink back for Davies who showed great improvisation to hook into the far corner from six yards on 64 minutes.

The striker was in again barely two minutes later, and after twisting and turning past his man he saw his shot blocked by what the Reds faithful thought was a hand. The atmosphere was electric as the football was in full flow.

Rovers had a real mountain to climb, as well as being outclassed they were reduced to ten men following some 'afters' between Foster and Lockwood - the latter was dismissed for barging into the Reds' centre-half.

Danny Haynes made a welcome return from the bench as he was introduced for Vaz Te with six minutes to go.

O'Brien thought he had added a third but somehow his drive was kept out. The winger burst into the area after showing a great turn of pace and hammered the near post, Davies was lurking but just couldn't turn it home for his hat-trick.

It was a fine display from the Reds whose passing and movement was simply too much for Rovers.


Steele, Hassell, McEveley, Foster, O'Brien, Davies, Done, Perkins, McNulty, Vaz Te (Haynes 84), Butterfield.
Subs: Preece, Wiseman, Addison, Edwards.

Doncaster Rovers: Ikeme, O'Connor, Friend, Martis (Lockwood 32), Naylor, Stock (Bennett 79), Sharp, Gillet, Diouf, Coppinger (Barnes 51), Ilunga.
Subs: Sullivan, Hayter.

Referee: Kevin Friend.

Attendance: 11, 783 (2325 away).
    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.