Skip to main content


21:38 18th October 2011


Barnsley 2 (Butterfield 22, Vaz Te 82)
Burnley 0

Goals in either half from skipper Jacob Butterfield and substitute Ricardo Vaz Te wrapped up a deserved three points for Keith Hill's side.

The away fans were up and celebrating a Wallace strike after only five minutes, but Edwards had cleared off the line with a magnificent block. Former Tyke Trippier was causing the problems, his delivery eventually fell to Wallace only a minute after the full-back himself saw an effort blocked.

A response from the Reds saw O'Brien breeze past four defenders and look for a shot only for Grant to smother on the penalty spot.

The little Scot was at it again on 10 minutes, he dinked a ball to the far stick only to see it cleared by Amougou with Davies lurking.

O'Brien had a shot charged down and McNulty went close with a powerful header before the Reds eventually found the net on 22. Jacob Butterfield hit his fourth of the campaign, after a clever nod back from Davies fell into the skipper's path eight yards out.

The Reds' woodwork was rattled by Rodriguez - another former Tyke - on 25 minutes. Space opened up down the left and his curling effort cracked the crossbar.

After Drinkwater stung the palms of Grant with a venomous 30 yard free-kick, the rebound seemed destined to end in another Reds goal, but somehow Gray was denied by a phenomenal clearance from in the six-yard box which saw two Clarets players go down injured, including the 'keeper Grant.

Second half

Only minutes after the break and Austin got lucky with a rebound but could only fire into the side-netting as the Oakwell faithful found their voice.

Craig Davies then scuffed a glorious effort wide when he went one-on-one with Grant - it really should have been 2-0 after the striker was put clean through by Butterfield down the centre.

Steele then denied Austin but, in fairness, it was a comfortable save from the former Swindon man's 16 yard strike. Right at the other end and a good advantage by referee Lee Mason allowed Butterfield to drill a vicious strike at goal but Grant got a good, strong hand to it.

Again Davies got in behind the Burnley defence, getting the better of Amougou before shooting wide from a tight angle on 56.

Burnley were pressing the Reds well, as they were in search of a way back into the match, but Barnsley were biding their time past the hour mark. Steele then flung himself to deny a fierce long-distance strike from Wallace, whose effort seemed destined for the top bag.

Ross Wallace then saw his free-kick comfortably saved by Steele. The Reds 'keeper was almost caught out by a phenomenal 45 yard McCann effort after Steele had initially cleared from outside of his penalty area, but the Clarets' skipper went wide.

Ricardo Vaz Te was thrown on for Davies - who, despite not hitting the net, worked hard and caused problems for Burnley with his pace and strength. The Portuguese winger then got his opportunity thanks to a clever pass from Gray, he didn't miss from a fairly tight angle on 82 minutes to send the Reds fans into raptures.

Keith Hill's side saw out the match as Burnley's heads dropped, and deservedly took the three points.


The Reds: Steele, Edwards, Doyle, Foster, O'Brien, Davies (Vaz te 75), Wiseman, McNulty, Butterfield, Drinkwater, Gray.
Subs: Preece, Addison, Park, Stones.

Burnley: Grant, Trippier, Amougou, Edgar, Easton, Wallace (Hines 88), Bartley, McCann, Stanislas (Treacy 67), Rodriguez, Austin.
Subs: Stewart, Mee, Marney.

Referee: Lee Mason
Assistant Referees: Simon Bennett and Richard West
Fourth Official: Paul Tierney.

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.