Skip to main content


19:12 15th October 2011


Portsmouth 2 (Norris 61, Varney 62)
Barnsley 0

A long trip to face a Portsmouth side who recently lost their Manager to Championship rivals Nottingham Forest ended the Reds' unbeaten away record and seven-match without a loss.

With all eyes on Fratton Park in the build-up to this fixture due to Steve Cotterill's impending departure, the Reds rued several missed chances with Butterfield cracking the post.

Barnsley were certainly the guiltier of the two sides in terms of wasting chances, but Pompey too could have hit the net through Rocha.

Then came the guilty chance and it was Vaz Te who blazed over with virtually an empty net at his mercy.

Two minutes after half hour, Varney found space to flash over with Steele covering the effort. Steele then enjoyed his first real touch on 37 to deny Norris before straight at the other end Butterfield rattled the post with a 25 yard strike.

The Barnsley captain was the busiest player in a white shirt after testing Henderson ten minutes before he rattled the débutante's upright.

Both sides were enjoying great build-up play and Norris couldn't hit the target as another shot from distance fizzed in and both sides went in having failed to find the net at the break.

The Reds were caught napping in the opening seconds of the second half and Benjani was making a nuisance of himself after a fairly quiet opening from the powerful forward's point of view.

The hosts were denied by a goal-line clearance from Stephen Foster as Huseklepp's scuffed effort almost found the far corner. Pompey were looking a lot more lively than in the first half.

Norris connected sweetly to open the scoring on the hour with a crisp volley and barely two minutes later, it was over. Luke Varney tapping in from two yards with the Reds disjointed.

The sting had been taken out of Barnsley, although Butterfield was trying his utmost to haul his side back into it with some more efforts on goal.

The second period fizzled out with once again a Pompey crowd on song, it was no disgrace on the Reds who were facing a rejuvenated Portsmouth outfit and the effort, as always, was there from Keith Hill's side.

Portsmouth: Henderson, Rocha, Pearce, Lawrence, Mullins, Huseklepp (Ward 84), Varney, Halford, Norris, Benjani (Kitson 58), Ben Haim.
Subs: Ashdown, Mokoena, Kanu.

The Reds: Steele, Hassell (Wiseman 46), McEveley, Doyle, Foster, O'Brien (Davies 67), McNulty, Vaz Te (Park 46), Butterfield, Drinkwater, Gray.
Subs: Preece, Addison.

Referee: S. Hooper
Assistant Referees: P. Kelly & A. Turner
Fourth Official: I Williamson.

Attendance: 11,261 (228 Reds supporters)

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.