Skip to main content


16:55 1st October 2011


The Reds 2 (Gray pen 42, 55)
Coventry 0

Andy Gray hit his 100th and 101st league goals in either half as the Reds' long-awaited home victory arrived on a glorious October afternoon.

The experienced forward opened the scoring from the spot before latching onto a splendid Reds move ten minutes after the break, as Barnsley's unbeaten run stretched to seven matches.

A blistering afternoon got off to a familiar start for Keith Hill's side at Oakwell - keeping possession and moving the ball well but it was the visitors who probably should have gone in front on seven minutes with the first attempt of the match. O'Donovan was the man to round off former City stopper Steele before placing his effort wide.

It was Barnsley's turn to squander a seemingly easy chance five minutes later with Vaz Te holding his head at the end of a neat move. McEveley's strong tackle allowed Butterfield to swing a wonderful delivery to the back stick for the Reds' Portuguese winger to nod wide when unmarked.

With 25 gone Vaz Te had another crack at goal, this time with a 25 yard free-kick - which was gathered at the second attempt by Murphy after the former Bolton man had thumped the ball at goal.

In the 33rd minute - the same time as Tuesday night's injury to Perkins - saw another Reds injury, this time to Bobby Hassell. Scott Wiseman slotted straight in at right back.

Luke Steele gobbled up a powerful Jutkiewicz effort after the former Everton man found space, but the game burst into life five minutes before the break when the Reds were awarded a penalty. Chris Hussey was penalised for handball in the box, and there was only going to be one man to take the resulting spot-kick - Andy Gray sending Murphy the wrong way for his 100th league goal. The City 'keeper did his best to put Gray off, a two-minute protest followed up by kicking the ball off the spot.

Second half

Murphy pulled off a great save from Drinkwater's thunderbolt on 49, the Manchester united loanee hammering a 30 yard free-kick towards Murphy's top-left corner, but it was a smart save. The effort came following three substitutes from the away side.

The Sky Blues' 'keeper had to be at his best again on 53, when Vaz Te pulled a shot out of absolutely nothing from the left wing. On 55 minutes Oakwell was absolutely rocking as Andy Gray pounced for his 101st league goal after a wonderful move from the Reds. Doyle's sweeping pass found the run of O'Brien down the right and the little Scot's excellent first touch allowed him to deliver for Gray in the six-yard box to cap off what was an exhibition move.

Oakwell was bouncing but Luke Steele showed class moments after the restart to claw away a Cameron header as the centre-back's attempt seemed to be dipping in.

Confidence was high in a patched up Barnsley outfit, Keith Hill's footballing philosophy was in full swing in the form of a passionate Reds side.

In fairness to Coventry, the effort was there from Andy Thorn's men, but a solid Tykes midfield kept opportunities for the visitors to a minimum.

Jay McEveley denied David Bell's three-yard attempt after a dangerous looking ball was whipped in at Steele's near post. The resulting corner, taken by Bell, was headed over by Cameron.

Steele ushered a long-range Bell effort out in the closing stages, the Reds weren't letting City near the net with a first home win well earned.


The Reds: Steele, Hassell (Wiseman 33), McEveley, Doyle, Foster, O'Brien, McNulty, Vaz Te (Park 81), Butterfield (c), Drinkwater, Gray.
Subs not used: Preece, Addison, Rose.

Coventry City: Murphy, Keogh, Cameron, Cranie (Bell 49), Hussey (Christie 46), Clingan (c), Thomas, Deegan, O'Donovan (Platt 46), McSheffrey, Jutkiewicz.
Subs not used: Dunn, McDonald.

Referee: Geoff Eltringham
Assistant Referees: Richard Bartlett & Chris Kavanagh
Fourth Official: Stephen Ross
    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.