Skip to main content


16:59 24th September 2011


Birmingham 1 (Burke 86)
Barnsley 1 (Butterfield)

Birmingham City were giving a footballing lesson at St Andrews and had claw a goal back late on with a cruel deflected strike.

Jacob Butterfield's spectacular 30-yard strike gave the Reds a one-goal lead, and it could have been more. But Chris Burke levelled with a deflected effort in the 86th minute to cruelly deny Barnsley the deserved victory.

The Reds started at St Andrew's in bright fashion with some wonderful one-touch football and a had a great chance to counter on five minutes but McEveley was cynically halted by Davies - who took a knock, and a booking, for his troubles.

Neat play again from the Reds allowed Butterfield a pop from distance, but his effort deflected out for a corner. Barnsley were looking more than comfortable in possession and were taking the game to their opponents.

Former Oakwell loanee David Murphy made an early entrance from the bench after Davies' foul on McEveley forced the former Villa man off on nine minutes.

Another wonderful move from Keith Hill's side saw O'Brien slice over on 13 minutes. Done caused havoc down the left before feeding in Drinkwater - whose pinpoint pull-back for the former Motherwell winger was scooped over from 15 yards.

The next attempt, again from the away side, came following more good Barnsley football. Done struck at Myhill on 25 minute from 20 yards after receiving a neat square-ball from Gray.

Half-an-hour in and Hill was forced into making a change. Matty Done, who had made a great start, started to look uncomfortable with his hamstring. Done's injury meant an earlier-than-expected introduction for local lad Jordan Clark.

Two minutes after the change and Myhill was in action for the Blues - palming away Butterfield's 22-yard drive out for a corner. Myhill couldn't get anywhere near Butterfield's next drive - this time from 30 yards on 33 minutes. It was an absolute firecracker after cutting in from the right and Barnsley were more than worthy of their one-goal lead.

The home side had their posed their first real threat from a Beausejour corner, Ridgewell powering his delivery just over from six yards.

Wood struck over on 41 with a half chance, but the New Zealand international's long-rang effort was always rising.

Second half

The Blues had obviously taken a half-time rollicking from Manager Chris Hughton and were in search of an equaliser from the off.

King almost got lucky in the Barnsley box on 51, a clearance from Foster ricocheted off McNulty into the former Watford man's path, but the Reds cleared with the ball right in the danger area.

Clark got himself in on the action just past the hour mark after being fed-in by another Academy product, Hacob Butterfield. After cutting inside onto his left in the area he smashed straight at Myhill - who parried the 18 year-old's attempt away.

On 69 minutes there was real panic in the Barnsley box - much down to the introduction of giant striker Nikola Zigic. King got a header away at the end of a right old scramble, but Steele plucked the ball from the sky.

Again Barnsley went close. Breaking down the left with that man Butterfield the creator. He fed his former Manchester United team-mate Danny Drinkwater, who lashed a strike off the bar and over.

'Butts' had another sublime drive from distance on 76 that had Myhill scrambling, but it flew just over from 22 yards. The home side had turned up the pressure with a direct approach, looking for King off the flick of Zigic.

With only four minutes to go, Birmingham bagged the equaliser. Burke curling in from 20 yards and it was so cruel on the Reds.

King then cracked the post as the City pushed for the winner but brave Barnsley seemed to have just a little bit of luck on their side - they certainly deserved it.

There was absolutely no questioning the desire and commitment of Barnsley's performance, Perkins, Drinkwater and Butterfield leading the way in what was a winning performance.

Birmingham City:
Myhill, Carr, Caldwell, Ridgewell, Burke, King, Beausejour, Redmond, Spector (Elliott 56), Davies (Murphy 9), Wood (Zigic 65).
Subs: Doyle, Gomis.

Reds: Steele, McEveley, Foster, O'Brien, Done (Clark 30 (Addison 76)), Perkins, McNulty, Butterfield, Drinkwater, Gray.
Subs: Preece, Wiseman, Rose.

Referee: David Phillips
Assistant Referees: Elliott Kaye and Ollie Yates
Fourth Official: Mark Jones

Attendance: 17, 836 (796 away)

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.