Skip to main content


17:00 13th August 2011


The Reds 0
Southampton 1
(Connolly 30, Chaplow s/o 84)

A first half header from David Connolly made sure of all the points for Southampton, with the visitors finishing the game with ten men. The Reds gave it a real go towards the end, and although the away side had dominated for prolonged spells - most fans inside the ground were left perplexed as to how the Reds didn't score in the final few minutes.

It was a bit of a sloppy start from both sides, Connolly seeing a deflected effort drift out for a corner on six minutes. Then Lallana sent a header wide from six yards when well positioned moments later.

Another header this time from Lambert flew over, the Saints were looking dangerous down the right flank with Do Prado and Richardson combining well.

Perkins did well to force a corner on the stroke of 17 minutes, the resulting set-piece from Butterfield nearly found Edwards' steaming run but the Saints cleared before the skipper could connect.

The Reds were finally alive in the twentieth minute - Jacob Butterfield taking the match by the scruff of the neck in search of an opener. As the Saints came forward, Barnsley were holding a very tight line, catching Connolly and Lambert offside.

Lallana fired in from 20 yards after McNulty had slipped on the edge of the area, but his right-foot strike was denied by the flailing leg of Edwards.

The Saints took the lead on 30 minutes and it wasn't as if the Reds didn't have a chance to clear. David Connolly nodded in from a seemingly impossible angle at Preece's near post after Barnsley failed to get rid of the ball.

The first half fizzled out with neither side able to come up with any action in the final third.

Second half

Three minutes after the break and a Haynes effort lacked the power to cause Davis any trouble after the forward drifted in from the right.

Do Prado should have done better with a free header from seven yards on 53 minutes after a lofted ball in from the right found the midfielder free in the area.

The Saints were looking more than comfortable in possession with the Reds needing a response. Do Prado again went close with another attempt, a right-footed curling effort from the edge of the area - flying just over Preece's top corner.

Davies wanted a penalty on 65 minutes as he was held up in the area, but it would have been a soft one in Barnsley's favour.

An Academy product replaced another for the Reds on 68 minutes- Noble-Lazarus for Butterfield in midfield. Two minutes later and the Saints made their first change, Chaplow on for Do Prado.

Vaz Te was then thrown on for Doyle as the Reds looked to bolster their attacking options in the final 16 minutes.

Noble-Lazarus had the Saints scrambling after his delightful delivery looked to find Davies but it was cleared for a corner.

After Vaz Te had controlled Edwards' long ball well down the left, his cut in and shot with the right foot was the only positive piece of action the Reds came up with in the second half so far.

At the other end on 83, Lallana should have put the game to bed when free in the area but hit the side netting with only Preece to beat.

Substitute Chaplow had only been on the field 14 minutes before seeing a straight red card for a studs-up tackle on McEveley.

Hammond was denied by a fine Preece save on 89, it was a great curling effort that the 34 year-old got down well to save.

Davis came to the Saints' rescue in the second of four stoppage-time minutes - getting down low to deny Vaz Te's wicked drive.

There was a real scramble in the Saints area with somehow the away side keeping the ball out in a heavily congested box following another drive from Vaz Te. Kelvin Davis needed some treatment, which delayed a Reds corner.

Oakwell thought the leveller had arrived in the dying seconds but somehow Addison's effort was cleared off the line - it was a very dramatic finish leaving Reds fans scratching their heads as to how their team hadn't scored.


The Reds:
Preece, Wiseman, McEveley, Edwards, McNulty, Addison, Doyle (Vaz Te 74), Perkins, Butterfield (Noble-Lazarus 68), Davies, Haynes.
Subs: Lidakevicius, Hassell, O'Brien.

Southampton: Davis, Richardson, Harding, Fonte, Lambert, Cork, Do Prado (Chaplow 70 (sent off 84)), Hammond, Lallana (Schneiderlin 87), Connolly (De Ridder 82), Seaborne.
Subs: Bialkowski, Martin.

Referee: C. Webster
Referee's Assistants: A. Greenwood & P. Marsden.
Fourth Official: R. Wootton.

Attendance: 10,501 (917 away)

Next match: Middlesbrough (H) - Tuesday 16th August. Kick-off: 7.45pm

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.