Skip to main content


14:43 7th May 2011


BARNSLEY 1 (Noble-Lazarus 59)

Reuben Noble-Lazarus bagged his first Barnsley goal to end the season on a high with the Reds defeating Millwall by a single goal at Oakwell.

The rain hammered down as the curtain fell on another Championship campaign for Barnsley at Oakwell.

Academy fullback John Stones was named on the bench alongside Jordan Clark, Reuben Noble-Lazarus and Danny Rose. It was a very scrappy opening as the greasy surface made it difficult for both sides to get the ball under control.

Haynes was almost in but slipped when it counted as Kieran Trippier's ball forward found the striker down the right on 12 minutes. The Reds, as usual, were looking comfortable in possession.

A minute later and after Butterfield's 20-yard attempt seemed to be heading wide, Hassell popped up to divert the ball towards goal but his attempt drifted off target.

Townsend was looking dangerous for Millwall and won a free-kick for the away side in a dangerous area but it came to nothing with 22 gone.

Robinson flashed a header across the face of goal but the referee had already awarded the Reds a free-kick for a foul by the Lions skipper on Stephen Foster. Dunne was next to test his shooting boots on 26 minutes but Steele got down to gather well to his left.

Millwall were growing stronger as the first-half wore on and Townsend cut in from the right to hammer wide with a left-footed strike on 28 minutes.

Haynes had a header that just evaded Forde's crossbar on 36 minutes as the former Bristol City man stole in to meet Trippier's free-kick.

Forde denied Shackell with a wonderful save at his near post. The Player of the Year nodded Butterfield's corner towards to the top bag on 41 minutes, but was denied by the Irishman.

Millwall's Andros Townsend thought he had given the Lions the lead on 43 minutes but Steele was at his best to deny the Spurs loanee low to his left. It was a wicked 25-yard drive from the winger but Steele got a solid hand to it despite not seeing the effort until late.

The half-time whistle came after one minute of added time was indicated. It ended an uneventful first-half of football.

Second half

The rain had eased off during the break as the Reds made the first change of the match during the interval with Noble-Lazarus replacing Mellis.

Gray was denied by a last-ditch challenge from Robinson as Trippier put the experienced forward in at a tight angle. The resulting corner was tame enough for Forde to gather.

The away side combined well with McQuoid being put through by Morison but the former Bournemouth man blasted over on 50 minutes. A moment later at the other end and Butterfield saw his 25-yard effort fumbled by Forde into the path of Haynes who just couldn't connect to put the rebound away.

Hameur Bouazza was booked for hauling down Hill as the Reds looked to break down the left. Immediately at the other and McQuoid hit a shot wide from a tight angle on 57 minutes.

A minute before the hour and Reuben Noble-Lazarus had his first goal for Barnsley and, of course, his first professional goal. Doyle did well to control a clearance before finding the youngster from 25 yards - he hit a left-foot thunderbolt into the bottom corner to send Oakwell wild.

The opener prompted a double change from the away side - Bouazza and McQuoid were replaced by Henry and Marquis, respectively.

Steele denied Marquis who was in one-on-one before smothering Morison's rebounded effort as Millwall looked to level the score.

In the 64th minute Noble-Lazarus was cynically hauled back by his man but advantage was awarded to allow the youngster to tee up Butterfield, but the Bradford-born midfielder's effort was straight at Forde.

Two minutes later and McEveley slotted in at left-back in place of Matt Hill. Straight back in play and Doyle was booked for a late foul.

Morison used his strength well to get in behind Foster but the former Northampton man struck his attempt wide from 10 yards. Haynes was the next Red in the book for blocking a quick Millwall free-kick.

Kenny Jackett made the final change for his side as top-scorer Morison came off for Neil Harris with 17 left to play.

After a clever throw-inn from Trippier, Butterfield's improvised volley dipped just wide of the left-post on 75 minutes. The second period was proving to be far more entertaining than the first.

Another long-range attempt came from Doyle, his curling effort was also wide as the Reds were keeping the ball well and looking to test Forde on the wicked surface. Haynes did brilliant to sit up a splendid cross at the far post which was begging to be put home but no Red shirt was on hand.

With five minutes to play Mark Robins' side were bossing the game with Butterfield and Doyle working tremendously hard in the middle of the park.

As the clock ticked down Luke Steele received some treatment from the Reds' physio, Chris Burton, after the stopper seemed to take a knock after a Millwall delivery.

An incredible six minutes of added time were indicated by the fourth official. Mkandawire saw his header bounce off the post as Millwall started to threaten in time added on.

Jim O'Brien was allowed a cameo in the 94th minute, replacing Haynes.

Finally the full-time whistle came as the Reds broke last season's points tally to end the season on a high - it was the first time the Reds had won their last home game of the season, since a victory over Swindon Town in 1993.


Barnsley: Steele, Hill (McEveley 66), Hassell, Shackell, Foster, Mellis (Noble-Lazarus 45), Butterfield, Doyle, Trippier, Gray, Haynes (O'Brien 90+4).
Subs not used: Preece, Stones, Clark, Rose.

Millwall: Forde, Dunne, Robinson, Bouazza (Henry 60), Craig, Mkandawire, Ward, Morison, Abdou, Townsend, McQuoid (Marquis 60).
Subs not used: Harris, Hackett, Smith, Mildenhall, Purse.

Referee: Mike Ruseell
Assistant Referees: R Bartlett & R J West
Fourth Official: C Akers

Attendance: 11,136 (849 away)

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.