Skip to main content


21:41 14th September 2010


BARNSLEY 5 (O'Connor 41, O'Brien 48, Arismendi 64, Collins OG 80, Hammill 81)
LEEDS UNITED 2 (Howson 3, Somma 85) BARNSLEY made it a night no one inside a packed Oakwell will ever forget as the Reds came from a goal down to annihilate Leeds United. Barnsley manager Mark Robins handed a debut to new signing Garry O'Connor as he looked to get back to winning ways at Oakwell against local rivals Leeds United. With more than 20,000 supporters expected and local bragging rights at stake, it was a massive evening for the Birmingham City man and he replaced Goran Lovre in the starting eleven. Jim O'Brien also made his full Reds' debut, coming in for Kieran Trippier, with Jacob Butterfield getting the nod in midfield ahead of Nathan Doyle as the side showed three changes to the one controversially beaten at Norwich City last weekend. The Reds head into the game looking for the win which would mean the club's best league start in seven years. Three points would also mean the Reds hitting double figures after six Championship matches for the first time since the Club's historic promotion campaign of 1996/97. Leeds looked to stamp their authority on the midfield battle inside the first minutes with Jonathan Howson leading with an elbow on Diego Arismendi. Referee Steve Tanner gave a free kick but nothing more as Arismendi left the field with blood pouring from his head. Howson made the Reds pay the ultimate price just two minutes later as he reacted quickest to Neil Kilkenny's low driven corner and smashed the ball past Luke Steele from 12 yards. It was a poor goal to give away. Barnsley were looking more composed on the ball in an Oakwell cauldron but found their way forward blocked by Leeds' endeavour, hard running and kick and rush defending. It needed something to spark the Reds into life and it almost came on 17 minutes as O'Connor did brilliantly to charge down Neil Collins' suspect clearance into the path of Adam Hammill. The winger raced away down the right before hammering a fine drive past Shane Higgs but agonisingly into the sidenetting. Barnsley were almost undone on 20 minutes as Bobby Hassell's header gave Luciano Becchio the chance break but Jason Shackell was in the right place to make an important block. Hassell was involved again seconds later as his header was a little too close to creeping in at the foot of the post as Leeds pushed forward. Hammill wasted a great position to put Leeds under pressure on 22 minutes as his wayward free kick from 40 yards was never going to trouble Higgs' goal. Steele was put under pressure by a bouncing Stephen Foster backpass on 33 minutes and scuffed his clearance through to Lloyd Sam but the Leeds winger could only drag the ball well wide from distance. Barnsley almost grabbed a goal back on 35 minutes as Jay McEveley hammered a low corner into the area and Foster reacted quickest but his low shot was hacked away off the line. Another McEveley corner had Leeds scrambling again three minutes later but Shackell could not get his looping header on target. Barnsley got the goal they deserved on 41 minutes after Hammill's hard work and determination unsettled the Leeds defence. Hammill did wonderfully well to keep hold of the ball under Richard Naylor's barely legal challenges and picked out debutant O'Connor, who found the bottom corner with a fine finish. Leeds responded with Howson blazing well over the bar on 45 minutes after decent play in the area by the lively Sam. The visitors started brightly again after the interval with Sam dragging a cross through the six yard box on 46 minutes. It came to Bradley Johnson, who smashed the loose ball back into the danger area only for Becchio to swing and miss his kick eight yards out. Barnsley were in front three minutes later and again the goal came from great play by Hammill down the left. The winger took on Leeds before almost running out of room but had the awareness to scramble the ball through Higgs to give O'Brien a tap in. The visitors responded although there was more than a little doubt when Becchio hit the deck on the edge of the area to earn a free kick. Sam smashed his effort into the wall and the Reds did well to charge down Paul Connolly's shot on the rebound. Leeds were rattled. Naylor thundered through the back of Hammill on 51 minutes to earn a booking but O'Connor hit the free kick into the wall. Gray was inches away from grabbing a third goal on 54 minutes as he reacted quickest after O'Brien's cross appeared to strike an arm but his effort flew just wide of the target. Andy Hughes picked up a booking for a ragged Leeds' on 57 minutes following a cynical trip on a flying O'Brien before substitute Ross McCormack sent a fine free kick inches over the bar three minutes later after being upended by Diego Arismendi. The Uruguayan picked up a booking for his challenge. The Reds grabbed a sensational third goal on 64 minutes when Hammill's corner flew past Higgs and to Arismendi at the back post. The midfielder did not need a second invitation and smashed a stunning low drive back past the helpless Leeds keeper and into the net. Leeds refused to lie down and McCormack again got a shot away on 65 minutes as he found a yard of space 30 yards from goal but he dragged his effort well wide of the target. O'Connor forced Higgs into a brilliant diving save on 69 minutes with a smart shot from 25 yards but it was a good height for the keeper and he parried the ball away. Leeds were in behind the Reds on 76 minutes as McCormack sent David Somma away but the Reds got back in numbers to snuff out the chance. A fantastic second half display was capped on 80 minutes when McEveley whipped in a great cross from the left that left Collins caught in two minds and the Leeds defender only managed to head past Higgs and into the bottom corner. Delight was turned into sheer disbelief just seconds later as Hammill picked the ball up and ran at the heart of the Leeds defence before planting a low drive past Higgs to notch the Reds' fifth. Barnsley were a little complacent in the closing moments and allowed McCormack to pick out Somma in space and the striker did well to beat Steele from 12 yards. To be fair to the Leeds striker it was a great finish. Steele had work to do again on 87 minutes as Higgs' colossal kick caught in the wind and needed to be palmed over the bar. BARNSLEY: Steele, Hassell, Foster, Shackell, McEveley (Doyle 90), O'Brien, Butterfield, Arismendi, Hammill, Gray, O'Connor.
Subs: Preece, Lovre, Trippier, Neumann, Devaney, Dickinson. LEEDS UNITED: Higgs, Connolly, Collins, Naylor, Gradel, Kilkenny, Becchio, Sam (Somma 65), Howson, Johnson (McCormack 58), Bessone (Hughes 48).
Subs: Bruce, Clayton, Watt, Brown. Referee
Steve Tanner (Somerset)
Assistant Referees
Scott Oldham (Lancashire) and Jeremy Simpson (Lancashire)
Fourth Official
Richard West (East Yorkshire) Attendance - 20,309 House of Fraser Man of the Match - Adam Hammill Match Report by Rob Knowles "We have been match sponsors numerous times and have thoroughly enjoyed the hospitality that Barnsley Football Club offer. We would have no hesitation in recommending businesses to take advantage of a sponsorship package this season. Since getting involved with Barnsley FC the awareness of our business has risen significantly."
Kevin Beckett, C K Beckett COMMERCIAL BROCHURE 2010-2011 CLICK HERE FOR TICKET INFORMATION FROM OAKWELL!!! CLICK HERE TO SHOP ONLINE ©WWW.BARNSLEYFC.CO.UK 2010 RNK GET THE EXCLUSIVES FIRST - Subscribers to our official SMS service are the first to hear all the big news from inside Oakwell. Be the first to know about all the latest exclusive news from Oakwell next time by signing up to our text service today - click here for more. Try - The official website is now available on your phone, for when you're on the move.
    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.