Skip to main content


17:09 9th April 2011



Barnsley's performance matched the glorious weather at Oakwell - the Reds thumping Bristol City 4-2 in another entertaining affair between these two sides.


Nathan Doyle became Barnsley's skipper with Jason Shackell missing out through illness. Foster came in for Shackell and Kieran Trippier slotted in at right-back for the injured Bobby Hassell.


GOAL 6 mins:
Marvin Elliott scuffs his effort past Luke Steele after a decent build-up down the right.

GOAL 32 mins: Andy Gray tucks home from the spot after Elliott handled in the area.

GOAL 40 mins: Danny Haynes' bursting run into the area allowed Gray an attempt on goal, but it fell to Haynes who sent the ball home.

GOAL 45 +2 mins: A wonderful effort from Butterfield found the net off the post after a world-class turn from the young midfielder.

GOAL 56 mins: McShane nods home his first Reds goal from Butterfield's free-kick.

GOAL 83 mins: Maynard pulled it back to 4-2 from the penalty spot.



The Reds locked horns with City at a sweltering Oakwell - similar weather to the last time the two sides met back in August.

Colace had an effort blocked before a poor clearance allowed Harewood a snapshot at goal but he couldn't connect five minutes in.

Completely out of the blue, Marvin Elliott gave the visitors a shock lead on seven minutes. The midfielder scuffed his effort on target - it trickled past Luke Steele and in off the post.

On 11 minutes Harewood had a volley from a tight angle that hit the side netting.

Maynard should have done better with Pitman's pull-back but his header was week with 19 minutes gone.

Colace was booked for a poor challenge from behind on former Red, Jamal Campbell-Ryce. The Argentine was replaced by Mellis with twenty to go in the first-half. From the resulting free-kick, McAllister's thumping free-kick was parried by Steele.

Harewood's low, drilled cross was begging to be turned home but no Red shirt was in sight.

Nigel Miller awarded the Reds a penalty for a handball by Elliott - much to his and City's dismay - as Mellis looked to deliver down the right. Elliott was booked for his protests. Andy Gray stepped up and replicated his feat at Ashton Gate in August - he dumbfounded the former England 'keeper, tucking the ball into James' bottom right-hand corner for the equaliser on 31 minutes.

Elliott headed down but his effort blazed over the top after a great run and cross from Adomah.

Campbell-Ryce was booked for a bad tackle on Mellis as the Chelsea loanee skipped past him - the Jamaican international found himself in Mr Miller's notebook.

David James pulled off a world-class save on 37 minutes from Trippier's free-kick - his attempt seemed destined for the corner but the former Portsmouth 'keeper tipped it round the post for a Reds corner.

A minute later and Maynard was in but Luke Steele was off his line like a cat before smothering the ball from the striker's feet.

Danny Haynes sent the Reds into the lead with six minutes until the break. The former City man sprang into the area and teed up Gray who just couldn't force it home, so Haynes did the rest and put the ball home.

Maynard could have levelled on 42 but Pitman's delivery just evaded the studs of the former Crewe striker.

Doyle's effort wasn't as powerful as he'd have liked but it still tested James from 25 yards before three minutes of added time was indicated by the fourth official.

Jacob Butterfield pulled an absolutely incredible strike out of the bag for goal of the month in first-half stoppage time. He turned wonderfully well away Elliott before unleashing an incredible effort that went in off James' left-hand post.

The Reds were looking great as they headed into the break.

Second half

The Reds were unchanged after the break.

Three minutes into the second-half, Andy Gray should have bagged his second. Haynes' initial shot was saved before it fell to Gray who curled it wide with his left foot.

Maynard forced a splendid save from Steele on 52 minutes - the Robins' record signing turned well before unleashing a powerful effort on goal.

Mellis robbed McAllister and burst forward before sending Gray into the area, his cross seemed destined for Haynes who was free at the far stick but it was cleared for a corner.

From the resulting corner McShane got his first Barnsley goal on 56 minutes - and he absolutely loved it - nodding home Butterfield's delivery to stun the City defence.

City made their first change with Skuse replacing Johnson on the hour.

Harewood fired at James after Trippier had skinned Campbell-Ryce down the Barnsley right. It was wonderful football from the Reds.

The away side made another change - Clarkson came on for Pitman.

Jacob Mellis showed why Chelsea snapped up the youngster from Sheff Utd on 64 - he lofted the ball over his man before curling a wonderful effort just wide of the top-corner.

Mr Miller had to diffuse an altercation between several players of both sides with twenty to play - Maynard and Doyle were both shown yellow cards.

Maynard struck wide after a long ball down the throat of Barnsley's defence - he probably should have done better, although it was a tight angle.

Adomah was trying to salvage some pride for the visitors - he was looking the liveliest player for the away side.

Keith Millen made the final change for his side - Woolford coming on for McAllister with 12 to play.

The Reds made their second change of the match with Arismendi replacing Trippier - the Uruguayan went into the middle of the park and Nathan Doyle slotted in at right-back.

City were awarded a penalty in the 83
rd minute as Adomah was adjudged to have been brought down by Foster - Maynard sent Steele the wrong way for 4-2.

Steele his own man in the shape of Nathan Doyle but the Reds were soon up at the other end. Haynes fired wide after a wonderful sprint down the centre.

Youngster Reuben Noble-Lazarus came on for Andy Gray who had led the line tremendously well.

Four minutes of added time came from the fourth official but the Reds had sealed the points with a great performance.

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.