Skip to main content


16:59 2nd April 2011


Crystal Palace 2 (Danns 29, Vaughan 74p)
Barnsley 1 (Harewood 43) Barnsley dominated the second period but it was Palace's day in the capital at Selhurst Park.

Team news Trippier completely missed out through injury while Arismendi, McEveley and O'Brien dropped to the bench. So in came the miraculous McShane, Haynes, Butterfield and Hassell.

Action GOAL: 29 minutes - Neil Danns broke the deadlock with a decent strike from the edge of the area after Barnsley gave away possession in the centre of the park.

GOAL: 43 minutes - Marlon Harewood bagged his third Barnsley goal after being found in the area by Jason Shackell. The Blackpool loanee cushioned home from a tight angle.

GOAL (pen) : 74 minutes - Vaughan won and converted a penalty after being shoved over in the area by Arismendi. He made no mistake from twelve yards, sending Steele the wrong way. Full report Both sides were limited to long balls over the top in the opening stages under the glorious sunshine at Selhurst Park.

Vaughan was reprimanded by the referee after barging Luke Steele over the advertising hoardings on seven minutes. Butterfield had the first effort of the game blocked ten minutes in as it opened up for the midfielder - the Reds were just shading the opening stages of the match.

Palace had a chance to cause the Reds danger as the home side won a free-kick through Danns - Ambrose drilled an effort straight at the wall.

Danns then should have opened the scoring with quarter-of-an-hour gone as Ambrose's effort was cleared into the path of the midfielder but he sliced his effort wide from five yards. The Eagles were finally alive but it was the Reds who turned up the heat a minute later as Butterfield danced into the area before finding Harewood - the front-man delivered for Gray to nod into space but nobody was there to turn the ball in.

Vaughan snatched at an effort as he seemed to be in one-on-one with Steele but he curled a twenty-yard effort wide on 19 minutes.

The home fans weren't happy but Shackell clearly won the ball in the area after a tremendous tackle on Vaughan.

Ambrose delivered for Vaughan to head wide on 28 minutes after the Palace skipper made a tremendous run down the left flank.

With 29 minutes in the Reds were keeping the ball well in the centre of the park but it was Danns who picked up on some sloppy play by Barnsley and sauntered to the edge of the area before finishing low to Steele's left.

Five minutes to the break and Butterfield forced Speroni into a smart save. The stopper got down well to deal with Butterfield's 20-yard effort and turned it round for a corner.

Harewood then equalised for the Reds on 43 minutes with a composed finish. Shackell's long punt into the area was met by the big striker who cushioned it beyond Speroni from a relatively tight angle for his third Barnsley goal.

One minute of added time was indicated by the fourth official but neither side could create a chance in the dying embers of the first period.

Second Half

Palace's scorer Danns found Vaughan who had slipped between Barnsley's central defenders but he couldn't connect with the cross in the first minute of the second half.

Some neat interchange play was orchestrated by Butterfield but the attack fizzed out when he tried to slip in Colace.

Iversen found himself in the referee's notebook on 52 minutes after complaining to Mr Evans.

Butterfield was too honest as he dribbled into the area when he could have gone down - the Reds were playing some teriffic football. One minute past the hour and Colace did well to slip Gray into the area but there was just too much on the through-ball and the striker was forced wide. He had another chance a few moments later but headed over from Hassell's delivery.

Danns then forced Steele into a wonderful save on 63 minutes - The Barnsley stopper denied Danns his second as he tipped a wicked effort away from the top corner.

Harewood thought he should have had a penalty after seeing his header hit a Palace man in the area with 23 left to play. The home fans were becoming more and more frustrated as Mark Robins' side were enjoying a long spell of posession.

Both sides made their first change of the match on 69 minutes - Arismendi replaced Hassell at right-back with Ambrose coming off for Zaha.

Steele then denied Vaughan's header from five yards with another top save when the Everton youngster was found free in the area.

A penalty was awarded to Palace as Arismendi's first involvement of the game was to shove Vaughan over in the area.

Vaughan smashed the penalty into the top corner for 2-1 - suddenly the Palace fans had found their voice again after Barnsley had bossed the second half.

Colace gave the ball away and Danns was at it again as he skipped his way through the Barnsley defence and past Luke Steele before seeing his effort cleared off the line by Jason Shackell.

Zaha replaced the Palace skipper, Ambrose, who looked tired for the home side and Devaney was thrown on for Haynes with eleven minutes left. Devaney immediately had an impact - forcing Speroni to turn it over after Gray had found the winger in the area.

Scannell came on for Danns, Palace's best player, with seven to play.

Devaney had another effort on 85 minutes that was blocked before Arismendi's delivery was claimed with ease by Speroni.

Only a few minutes remained and O'Connor was introduced for Gray up top.

The fourth official indicated five added minutes with Barnsley pressing in desperate search of an equaliser but Palace were standing strong.

It was evident Palace are in a relegation scrap as the home side showed plenty of desire to earn all the points.


Crystal Palace: Speroni, Clyne, McCarthy, Ambrose (Zaha 69), Danns (Scannell 83), Iversen, Vaughan (Easter 87), Moxey, Gardner, Agustien, Dikgacoi.
Subs not used: Price, Davis, Garvan, Counago.

Barnsley: Steele, Hassell (Arismendi 69), Hill, Shackell, McShane, Butterfield, Haynes (Devaney 79), Doyle, Colace, Gray (O'Connor 88), Harewood. Subs not used: Preece, McEveley, O'Brien, Lovre. Referee: Mr K. Evans
Assistant Referees: Mr I. Cooper & Mr M. Scholes
Fourth Official: Mr T. Mason.

Attendance: 19,344 (312 away supporters)
    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.