Skip to main content


21:45 8th March 2011


Barnsley were rewarded for their hard work and persistance with a good win over Scunthorpe United. Marlon Harewood, in his first full home appearance for Barnsley, was the man of the night getting two goals, including an excellently lobbed goal in the dying minutes. Scunthorpe kicked off the game on a relatively mild night at Oakwell. Sam Togwell, returning back to Oakwell was the Scunthorpe captain. Mark Robins had dropped Garry O'Connor to the bench and Jim O'Brien returned to the starting line up. Scunthorpe won a free kick in a good area 25 yards from goal and Collins delivered a good ball that just needed a touch, but it evaded everyone and went out for a corner. Barnsley were quick to attack and Lillis coming out to gather the ball was put off by Marlon Harewood, who managed to pass it, but Scunthorpe got plenty of men quickly behind the ball to snuff out the danger. Ten minutes in Kieran Trippier put in a good ball for Danny Haynes to head on target, but was gathered by Lillis. Diego Arismendi knocked a great ball to Jacob Mellis who inturn laid it on for Jay McEveley who was steaming down the pitch and he put in a ball across the face of goal which needed just a touch, but no one could get to it in time. Jim O'Brien showed real determination to win a corner which nearly resulted in a goal from Trippier's cross into the box, but it was just too high for Jason Shackell to get any direction on his header. Ben Gordon, on loan from Chelsea, burst into the area and had a real chance at goal, but Shackell got a foot in at the right time to clear the danger. Michael Collins was quick to follow up and test Luke Steele whose diving parry calmed the nerves. Barnsley had another glimpse at goal on 32 minutes when Kieran Trippiers corner kick found McShane, but he couldn't get a solid enough strike to trouble Lillis. Barnsley will count themselves unlucky not to have gone in front with 2 minutes off the half left when Mellis laid a good ball on for Haynes who put in a dangerous ball into the box but Harewood could not fashion a shot. ------------ Michael Collins made a dangerous move for Scunthorpe early in the second half putting Gordon clear on goal one on one with the keeper, but fortunately the assistant flagged offside. The Iron were enjoying some attacking play and Collins once again moved behind the defence to put another ball into the box but there was no one to get onto the end of it. With an hour elapsed Barnsley won a corner and three times the ball was put dangerously into the area, but the ball just would not drop to a Barnsley player in the packed area to frustrate the Reds. Barnsley finally got the rub of the green and Marlon Harewood scored his first goal for the Reds. It all started from a ball in by O'Brien that led to the danger and ended with Doyle's strike hitting the post and rebounding to Harewood to knock it in the net in the 64th minute. Ben Gordon came very close to an equaliser when his sht beat Steele and Shackell cleared it off the line. O'Brien going forward laid on a good ball for Trippier who found Haynes in the box and his shot was blocked for a corner. A moment of confusion with an incident between McShane and Lillis led to the pair receiving yellow cards. Haynes was very close when he ran onto a loose ball, but it just ran just too far in front for him to poke home a second goal. McEveley sent a high ball over the defence for Trippier to run clear and he tried to lob the keeper but got the angles wrong. Nonetheless Barnsley were not sitting back on their lead and were fighting hard to get a second. With ten minutes left a nice ball from McEveley into the box for Mellis gave him a sniff at goal but he was swallowed up by two Scunthorpe players as Barnsley continued to press. Barnsley doubled the lead a couple of minutes later as Harewood outmuscled Ben Gordon to cooly lob the keeper from 24 yards out to get his second of the night. Martin Devaney was close to seeing his cross trouble the keeper as he watched it go wide of the far post. Harewood was close to getting his hat trick when he tried another chip over the keeper, but this time his effort went wide. Scunthorpe pulled one back in injury time when Garner's shot was parried away by Steele into the path of Michael Collins to bury the ball into the back of the net to give the home fans a few last nervous minutes. BARNSLEY: Steele, Shackell, McShane, Trippier, Haynes (Gray 81), McEveley, O'Brien (Devaney 70), Harewood, Arismendi, Mellis (Butterfield 84), Doyle
Subs: Preece, Lovre, O'Connor, Taylor SCUNTHORPE: Lillis, Wright, Gordon, Togwell (Duffy 64), Hughes, Raynes, Nelson, Wright (Dagnall 78), Collins, Miller (Ibrahim 78), Garner
Subs: Slocombe, Mirfin, Grant, Nolan.
    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.