Skip to main content


17:01 13th November 2010


IPSWICH TOWN 1 (Edwards 80)
BARNSLEY 3 (Lovre 20, Fulop OG 27, O'Connor 50)
npower Championship
Saturday November 13, 2010, KO 3.00pm BARNSLEY were brilliant and outclassed Ipswich Town at Portman Road to take home a thoroughly deserved three points. There were 256 hardy Reds fans at the game. They enjoyed a day they would not forget in a hurry as Robins' Reds finally clicked into gear in stunning fashion. Reds manager Mark Robins handed in his teamsheet an hour before kick off showing just one change to the side that beat Preston North End to notch the Reds' first away success of the season on Tuesday night. In came Garry O'Connor for Andy Gray. Bobby Hassell kept his place at left back while Paul Hayes was named on a very strong looking bench. Following an impeccable moments of Remembrance, the action got underway with the Reds keen to get off to a flyer at Portman Road. Adam Hammill almost had the Reds going within two minutes as he raced through the heart of the Ipswich midfield only to by cynically hauled back by Jack Colback. The Town midfielder was rightly shown an early yellow. A dive by Andros Townsend gave Ipswich the chance to put the Reds under pressure on six minutes but Luke Steele did brilliantly up against Tamas Priskin and cleared the free kick away from danger. Barnsley should have done much, much better three minutes later as Hammill broke onto O'Connor's pass and through but could not pick out Jim O'Brien with the Ipswich defence at sixes and sevens. O'Brien would have been clean in on goal. The lively Carlos Edwards fired over the bar on eleven minutes but it was the visitors who bossed the early exchanges without really testing Marton Fulop. It was a confident start by the men in all red. Despite the Reds' bright opening it was Ipswich who went closest to a goal on 15 minutes as Priskin, who looked a yard offside, broke in behind. The flag never came and Steele had to be at his very best to turn the Hungarian's drive onto the top of the bar and over. Nathan Doyle then picked up a very, very harsh yellow after winning a 50/50 with Jake Livermore. Livermore came of worse and referee Paul Tierney had his card out almost before he'd blown for a foul. The Reds midfielder was more than a little unlucky. Edwards saw a shot from distance deflect away on 17 minutes as the home side found a little impetus but they were rocked by a goal of brilliance by a buoyant Barnsley just three minutes later. It came from a wonderful cross by Hammill that fell to O'Brien at the back post who picked out Lovre on the penalty spot and the midfielder hit a sensational strike past Fulop and into the top corner. Ipswich were rocking and it should have been two on 23 minutes as O'Connor outpaced the Town defence to race onto O'Brien's pass and beat Fulop but his low shot just crept wide of the post. Barnsley grabbed a second goal - albeit with a little slice of fortune - on 27 minutes as Hammill cut in from the left flank and hammered an unstoppable shot past Fulop. The ball just drifted wide and smacked into the post before rebounding against the unlucky Ipswich keeper and into the net. An own goal? Just don't tell Hammill! Townsend had the Reds scrambling on 35 minutes as he broke away down the left before finding Priskin in the centre but Steele was again in fine form to parry his effort over the bar. Steele was again alert seconds later to smother Townsend's left-footer. Priskin again beat the offside trap on 38 minutes and twisted his way into a great position but blazed wide of the far post from 12 yards out. A foul by Tom Eastman on Hammill gave the Reds chance to wrap things up on 40 minutes but the winger saw his free kick deflect just over the bar. Hugo Colace then brought a fine parry from Fulop seconds later as the Reds cut through Ipswich again. Jason Shackell picked up a booking on 44 minutes for a foul on Priskin before the Town striker had the ball in the back of the Barnsley net seconds later but his effort was rightly ruled out for offside. Town boss Roy Keane was not happy and made two changes after the interval in a bid to improve what had been a woeful performance by the home side. On came Luke Hyam and Ronan Murray for Jason Scotland and Townsend. It was like men against boys again on 50 minutes as the Reds simply picked apart Ipswich Town. Hassell played it simple to send Lovre in behind a static Town defence and the midfielder simply looked up and picked out O'Connor in the six yard box. O'Connor just could not miss and slotted home easily. Hammill was a foot or so away from a fourth on 55 minutes as he did well to turn onto a dropping ball on the edge of the box but could not find the far corner with a curling shot. Barnsley were so much in command of the game against a demoralised Ipswich Town side that every pass was being greeted by cheers from the home supporters. The game was dead and, although Ipswich huffed and puffed after the introduction of the lively Connor Wickham, they never looked like testing Steele or getting a foothold back in the game. The home side got a goal they just did not deserve on the balance of play on 81 minutes when the Reds struggled to deal with Edwards' corner and Tommy Smith pounced to nod the ball home. A quick free kick by Hammill gave Doyle the chance to test his shooting boots on 83 minutes as the Reds again reasserted their control of the game but this time Fulop was able to get his body behind the ball. Hammill was again on the end of some rough treatment on 86 minutes as his burst was ended by Edwards. Substitute Hayes almost grabbed a goal seconds later from Hammill's free kick as the ball dropped on the edge of the area but his effort fizzed wide. Hayes then should have capped a fine cameo performance with a goal on 88 minutes as he took Hammill's pull back on first time but shot wide of the far post. Colace took a yellow card in stoppage time as he pulled back Colback on half way before O'Connor was inches away from another goal as he pounced on a ricochet in the box but hammered a shot just over the bar. IPSWICH TOWN: Fulop, Delaney, Edwards, Scotland (Hyam 45), Livermore, Priskin (Wickham 61), Townsend (Murray 45), Smith, Eastman, Colback, Kennedy.
Subs: Murphy, Peters, Brown, O'Dea. BARNSLEY: Steele, Trippier, Foster, Shackell, Hassell, Hammill (Butterfield 90), Doyle, Colace, O'Brien, Lovre (Hayes 71), O'Connor.
Subs: Preece, Neumann, Arismendi, Gray, Wood. Referee
Paul Tierney (Lancashire)
Assistant Referees
Mike Blackledge (Cambridgeshire) and Charles Breakspear (Surrey)
Fourth Official
Adrian Sannerude (Suffolk) Attendance - 18,024
Away Attendance - 256 Match Report by Rob Knowles. "We have been match sponsors numerous times and have thoroughly enjoyed the hospitality that Barnsley Football Club offer. We would have no hesitation in recommending businesses to take advantage of a sponsorship package this season. Since getting involved with Barnsley FC the awareness of our business has risen significantly."
Kevin Beckett, C K Beckett COMMERCIAL BROCHURE 2010-2011 CLICK HERE FOR TICKET INFORMATION FROM OAKWELL!!! CLICK HERE TO SHOP ONLINE BET ON THE REDS WITH CORAL ©WWW.BARNSLEYFC.CO.UK 2010 RNK GET THE EXCLUSIVES FIRST - Subscribers to our official SMS service are the first to hear all the big news from inside Oakwell. Be the first to know about all the latest exclusive news from Oakwell next time by signing up to our text service today - click here for more. Try - The official website is now available on your phone, for when you're on the move.
    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.