Skip to main content


16:55 6th November 2010


LEICESTER CITY 2 (Vitor 18, King 85)
npower Championship
Saturday November 6, 2010, KO 3.00pm A GOAL in each half was enough for Leicester City to take the points from Oakwell. There were changes for the Reds as Mark Robins looked to kick start a charge up the table with three points against the Foxes. Out went injured full back Matt Hill while Nathan Doyle and Andy Gray also dropped to the bench following last weekend's draw with Hull City. In came Luke Potter, Jacob Butterfield and Chris Wood. Leicester City started brightly with Hugo Colace denying Martyn Waghorn a run on goal on five minutes as the Foxes found their feet early on. Luke Steele then had to be at his very, very best two minutes later to claw Waghorn's top-corner bound effort away after the striker had done well up against Jason Shackell in the area. It was hard going in the opening exchanges against what looked a very well drilled and slick Leicester City side, who grabbed the simplest of goals on 18 minutes. Hugo Colace gave away a needless free kick on half way and the Reds just went to sleep from Waghorn's delivery and gave Angelo Miguel Vitor a free header six yards out. He didn't miss with his header and left Steele stranded. It wasn't long before another very soft refereeing decision went the way of the visitors. This time Stephen Foster was punished for a challenge on Waghorn. The Foxes had the ball in the back of the net again from the free kick as Paul Gallagher's cross was deflected past Steele but as offside flag denied Leicester a second goal. Steele was in top, top form just seconds later as Darius Vassell's cross split the Reds defence wide open to give Waghorn a free header but the keeper managed to get both hands to the ball. Steele again denied Waghorn on 26 minutes after the striker turned his snap shot goalward. Waghorn then got away with murder on 28 minutes after pushing Shackell through the advertising boards and into the stand. The Leicester City striker only had a lecture while Reds fans will remember Neil Austin seeing red for the same against Doncaster Rovers a few years ago. Referee Neil Swarbrick did get his yellow card out a minute later to flash at Bobby Hassell after the full back had tripped Yuki Abe. Robins had seen enough after what had been a disappointing opening half an hour. The Barnsley manager made changes on 30 minutes bringing off Wood and Paul Hayes and sending on Gray and Doyle in an attempt to wrestle a foothold in the game. Referee Swarbrick looked to have got it wrong on 33 minutes when Curtis Davies smacked the post from Waghorn's corner. The official handed the Foxes another corner kick. Thankfully nothing came from Waghorn's centre. Waghorn then picked up a needless yellow card on 36 minutes for hammering the ball into the stand after being given offside. Barnsley finally looked a threat on 37 minutes as Jim O'Brien combined well with Hassell down the right flank. Hassell got his shot away but it was always going to be an ambitious one and the ball flew out of play. Gallagher hammered one high over on 41 minutes before the Reds almost snatched an equaliser seconds later as Hassell's cross was deflected past Chris Weale but Adam Hammill just could not get a touch inside the six yard box. The Reds were almost caught on the break in stoppage time as Waghorn burst into the area but again Steele was in magnificent form to deny the striker. Barnsley huffed and puffed in the opening stages of the second half without getting that little break they needed in the Leicester half. It was better from the home side but they were still looking second best and, although they had found their foothold in the game, there were still too many passes going astray. O'Brien looked the kick start an Oakwell assault on the hour mark as he fired through a crowd but saw his effort well saved by Weale. It just wasn't happening for the Reds. Doyle was inches away from a real goal of the season contender on 65 minutes when, out of nothing, he unleashed a monster of a shot from 35 yards that rocketed into the underside of the bar but bounced down and out. Greg Cunningham was shown a yellow card just seconds later after crunching through O'Brien to stop another Reds foray into the Leicester City half. Potter then picked up a booking on 71 minutes after scything through Lloyd Dyer. Weale had to be at his best on 72 minutes to save at the feet of Gray from O'Brien's neat flick but the flag was already raised. Gray was in again on 75 minutes as he rose highest but was always stretching to meet Hammill's cross and his effort flew just over the bar. Leicester did the naughty side of the game very well throughout the 90 minutes. Abe's check on Hammill may have given the Reds a free kick 35 yards out but it stopped the winger breaking at his defenders. Hammill's free kick was poor although Colace almost got lucky from a ricochet in the area but fired over the bar. Leicester went close to a second on 82 minutes as the Reds struggled to deal with Gallagher's corner and substitute Steve Howard shot goalward but Steele was again well-placed to make a smart stop. It wasn't happening for Barnsley. O'Brien shot towards the bottom corner on 83 minutes but his effort smacked into a defender and Jeronimo Neumann and the chance went begging. The Foxes were always dangerous as the Reds threw caution to the wind in the closing moments. Howard again brought a save from Steele on 85 minutes as Leicester countered quickly. Leicester killed the game just seconds later as Gallagher caught Barnsley short on numbers at the back again a minute later. The Reds were still trying to get back as Gallagher swept the ball across goal for Andy King to put into the net. Howard should have rubbed salt in the Reds' wounds in stoppage time as he pounced on a loose ball on the edge of the area but blazed well wide with only Steele to beat. BARNSLEY: Steele, Hassell, Foster, Shackell, Potter (Neumann 74), Hammill, Colace, Butterfield, O'Brien, Hayes (Doyle 30), Wood (Gray 30).
Subs: Preece, Arismendi, Lovre, Trippier. LEICESTER CITY: Weale, Vitor, Gallagher (Moussa 86), King, Waghorn (Howard 81), Naughton, Wellens, Abe, Davies, Cunningham, Vassell (Dyer 62).
Subs: Logan, Fryatt, Berner, Hobbs. Referee
Neil Swarbrick (Lancashire)
Assistant Referees
Gary Beswick (County Durham) and Darren Bond (Lancashire)
Fourth Official
Jason Knowles (West Yorkshire) Attendance: 12,360
Away Attendance: 2,307 Today's House of Fraser Man of the Match: Jason Shackell Match Report by Rob Knowles. "We have been match sponsors numerous times and have thoroughly enjoyed the hospitality that Barnsley Football Club offer. We would have no hesitation in recommending businesses to take advantage of a sponsorship package this season. Since getting involved with Barnsley FC the awareness of our business has risen significantly."
Kevin Beckett, C K Beckett COMMERCIAL BROCHURE 2010-2011 CLICK HERE FOR TICKET INFORMATION FROM OAKWELL!!! CLICK HERE TO SHOP ONLINE BET ON THE REDS WITH CORAL ©WWW.BARNSLEYFC.CO.UK 2010 RNK GET THE EXCLUSIVES FIRST - Subscribers to our official SMS service are the first to hear all the big news from inside Oakwell. Be the first to know about all the latest exclusive news from Oakwell next time by signing up to our text service today - click here for more. Try - The official website is now available on your phone, for when you're on the move.
    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.