Skip to main content


19:14 30th October 2010


BARNSLEY 1 (Hammill 23)
HULL CITY 1 (Kilbane 72)
Saturday October 30, 2010, KO 5.20pm
LIVE FROM OAKWELL STADIUM REFEREE Andy D'Urso denied the Reds a penalty late in the game as the home side let the game slip away despite being the better team at Oakwell. There were changes on the back of two away defeats. New signing Paul Hayes started for the Reds while Bobby Hassell, Hugo Colace, Andy Gray and Jim O'Brien also returned to the starting eleven. Goran Lovre, Kieran Trippier, Jacob Butterfield, Chris Wood and Diego Arismendi missed out from the defeat at Coventry City. Hull City had ex-Reds keeper Vito Mannone on the bench. Hayes received a rapturous reception from the Oakwell faithful ahead of kick off as he made his return to Oakwell, three years after leaving the club. A slip by Jason Shackell gave Rowan Vine the chance to get the first shot away on three minutes but his effort sailed high over the bar. At the other end Hayes showed great awareness and skill to fashion a chance three minutes later but his spectacular volley flew over. Stephen Foster almost capped a great start by the Reds with the opening goal on eleven minutes as he met Hammill's corner at the back post but his header looped just over. O'Brien then brought a save from Matt Duke a minute later as the home side pushed on again. Hull looked a threat from set pieces. A quick free kick gave Liam Rosenior the chance to pile on the pressure on 18 minutes and Nick Barmby rose highest but his header looped high over the bar. The Reds bright started petered out a little as the first half went on. Nathan Doyle volleyed well over on 21 minutes as the home side looked for a spark. It came on 23 minutes and if ever there was a goal that deserved to hit the back of the net in front of the Sky cameras then the Reds opener from the right boot of Hammill was it. The winger took the ball on 40 yards from goal and unleashed a swerving, dipping drive that bamboozled Duke and ripped into the net to send Oakwell delirious. Hayes and Gray combined well on 38 minutes to send O'Brien away in behind the Hull defence but the winger was denied a run on goal by a harsh looking flag. For a six-foot plus midfielder Kamil Zayatte hit the deck a little too easily in the first half although he was just about tripped by Colace on 40 minutes. It earned the Reds midfielder the first yellow. The Reds went close to a second a minute later when O'Brien broke well down the right to cross and the ball fell to Doyle but his scuffed effort flew wide of the post. Hammill almost grabbed another stunner on 43 minutes as he found a yard of space to shoot again from 30 yards but this time Duke was able to parry clear. Hull City had the ball in the back of the net in stoppage time when Luke Steele was barged out of the way of Rosenior's free kick but thankfully referee D'Urso got the decision spot on. Hull made two changes at the break with Caleb Folan and John Bostock replacing Jamie Devitt and Vine. It was fast and frantic in the opening exchanges of the second half. Great play by Hayes sent Hammill away on 51 minutes and the winger brought a save from Duke although a pass would have put O'Brien clean through on goal. Doyle then curled one just over the bar two minutes later after finding a yard of space at the back post as the Tigers struggled to deal with Hassell's deep cross. The best Hull could offer came on 56 minutes when Zayatte drilled a shot high over the bar. They went even closer seconds later as Folan, who looked a yard offside, raced through and beat Steele but his effort came back off the bar. It got even worse for Folan as he landed awkwardly and was forced off the pitch. Folan did attempt to play on but was obviously in no fit state to continue although Hull would have been down to ten men had he left the field. The chances kept coming. Great play by Hammill on the left created an opportunity for Gray on 63 minutes but the striker could only head straight at Duke under pressure. Matt Hill picked up a yellow card for a trip on Rosenior before the visitors grabbed a leveller they just about deserved on 73 minutes. It came after the Reds had struggled to clear Tom Cairney's free kick and Kevin Kilbane was on hand to smash the loose ball home from 18 yards. Barnsley responded with Colace finding Hayes in space on 74 minutes but the striker could not cap a good 'debut' display with a goal as he blazed wide. Hayes went even closer two minutes later as he raced onto Colace's pass and into the area but shot agonisingly wide of the post with O'Brien screaming to be given a tap in. Referee D'Urso robbed the Reds of a blatant, blatant penalty on 83 minutes as Andy Dawson hauled down O'Brien as the pair went for Hammill's cross. It was a clear, clear spot kick but - not for the first time - D'Urso courted controversy at Oakwell. Substitute Butterfield almost found a winner on 84 minutes as he tricked his way into a yard of space in the area before bringing a fine low save from Duke. Hammill scuffed one on 84 minutes before picked up a yellow card for simulation 60 seconds later after going down theatrically in the box. If D'Urso wasn't going to give a penalty after O'Brien had been clearly hauled to the ground he certainly wasn't when Hammill hit the deck. It was an onslaught. The Reds thought they had a goal on 88 minutes when O'Brien's cross caused panic in the area and the ball smacked into the bar off Gray but somehow ended up in Duke's welcome arms. Hammill almost won it in stoppage time as he raced at Rosenior but saw his goalbound shot brilliantly tipped around the post. BARNSLEY: Steele, Hassell, Foster, Shackell, Hill, Hammill, Colace (Butterfield 80), Doyle, O'Brien (Neumann 90), Hayes, Gray.
Subs: Preece, Trippier, Arismendi, Wood, Potter. HULL CITY: Duke, Zayatte, Dawson, McShane, Kilbane, Cairney, Barmby (Cullen 28), Devitt (Bostock 45), Gerrard, Vine (Folan 45), Rosenior.
Subs: Solano, Simpson, Garcia, Mannone. Referee
Andy D'Urso (Essex)
Assistant Referees
Ken Haycock (West Yorkshire) and Kevin Mattocks (Lancashire)
Fourth Official
Karl Evans (Lancashire) Attendance: 10,566
Away Attendance: 998 House Of Fraser Man of the Match: Adam Hammill Match Report by Rob Knowles. "We have been match sponsors numerous times and have thoroughly enjoyed the hospitality that Barnsley Football Club offer. We would have no hesitation in recommending businesses to take advantage of a sponsorship package this season. Since getting involved with Barnsley FC the awareness of our business has risen significantly."
Kevin Beckett, C K Beckett COMMERCIAL BROCHURE 2010-2011 CLICK HERE FOR TICKET INFORMATION FROM OAKWELL!!! CLICK HERE TO SHOP ONLINE BET ON THE REDS WITH CORAL ©WWW.BARNSLEYFC.CO.UK 2010 RNK GET THE EXCLUSIVES FIRST - Subscribers to our official SMS service are the first to hear all the big news from inside Oakwell. Be the first to know about all the latest exclusive news from Oakwell next time by signing up to our text service today - click here for more. Try - The official website is now available on your phone, for when you're on the move.
    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.