Skip to main content


21:39 19th October 2010


BURNLEY 3 (Eagles 50, 65 P; Iwelumo 82)
npower Championship
Turf Moor
Tuesday October 19, 2010 EVEN one down, the Reds were more than good value for something from the game at Turf Moor but an absolutely shocking penalty decision handed the points to Burnley. Reds boss Mark Robins made one change from the side that beat Nottingham Forest last time out with Bobby Hassell replacing Jim O'Brien. It meant Kieran Trippier was pushed further forward. Burnley had former Oakwell loanee Jay Rodriguez in their starting eleven as they looked to preserve their unbeaten start to the season at Turf Moor. Winter had officially arrived as the temperatures plunged in Burnley prior to the game but it was the home side who almost warmed up the crowd inside two minutes when Chris Eagles' fine cross looked to put Rodriguez in but the striker could not get a connection as the Reds looked for a flag that never came. The Reds were almost in on six minutes as Hugo Colace's fine pass sent Goran Lovre in behind the Clarets' defence but Leon Cort was able to make an important block to deny the midfielder a strike at goal. Adam Hammill went for the spectacular on ten minutes as he attempted to lob Brian Jensen from 40 yards after smuggling the ball off Rodriguez. It was a little optimistic from the winger. There was a worrying moment for the Reds when Hassell overstretched to make a fine tackle on a flying Eagles on 13 minutes. It left the full back in agony but thankfully he was able to continue. Lovre then had Burnley worried three minutes later as he raced clear onto Andy Gray's flick but was tripped on his way towards the area by Tyrone Mears' clumsy challenge. It earned the full back a yellow but the free kick came to nothing. Eagles fired a deflected shot over the bar on 19 minutes before Burnley fans had a big shout for a penalty three minutes later when Rodriguez ran into Stephen Foster just inside the area. You have seen them given, particularly for the home side, but referee Andy Haines was having nothing of it. Luke Steele was called into action on 27 minutes when he did well to hold Dean Marney's curler before the Reds cut the Burnley defence open at the other end moments later but Lovre did not get enough on his shot to trouble Jensen. Steele gave his defence a worrying moment on the half hour as he came but dropped Eagles' deep cross under pressure but Jason Shackell was in the right place to nod Chris Iwelumo's header away off the line. Steele had to be at his very best though moments later to deny Marney after the midfielder had lashed a swerving shot in from the edge of the area. It was end to end stuff and Hammill then curled one into the sidenetting on 35 minutes after somhow evading three defenders. A great run by Hammill gave the winger another chance to shoot on 42 minutes but Jensen was able to punch clear. Hugo Colace dragged the rebound wide. You have to wonder if Trippier is ever going to open his account for the Reds. The youngster burst clean through on goal just three minutes after the restart and beat Jensen with a low drive but the ball rolled agonisingly wide of the far post. Barnsley were in again just seconds later as Trippier put Hassell away and the full back crossed well but Lovre could not get enough on his header to direct it goalward. Burnley made the Reds pay on 50 minutes as the visitors struggled to clear and Eagles was given too much time to sweep a fine shot past Steele from the edge of the area. It was almost two on 52 minutes as Hammill was dispossessed before Rodriguez raced in on the Barnsley defence but his shot flew well, well wide of the mark. Jack Cork then fizzed one over as Burnley put the Reds under pressure for the first time in the game. A block tackle ended Jay McEveley's evening on the hour mark as the full back left the pitch worryingly on a stretcher. He was replaced by Luke Potter. Steele saved the Reds on 63 minutes with an outstanding stop to turn Iwelumo's header onto the bar. The striker thought he had scored but Steele pulled off the save of the match to deny him. Referee Haines and his assistant handed Burnley the match on 65 minutes as they gifted the home side a penalty for handball against Nathan Doyle. The midfielder was unbelievably adjudged to have handled Eagles' cross from about five yards away and after turning his back to the ball. It was an absolutely shocking decision by the officials but Eagles did not need a second invitation to smash the penalty past Steele. Eagles tested Steele again on 71 minutes as the midfielder searched for his hat trick while Rodriguez shot well wide seconds later as Burnley found themselves on the front foot again. Barnsley found it hard going but Gray almost got in on 74 minutes as he found a yard inside the box but his low shot was well blocked away. Hammill then brought a fine save from Jensen seconds later with a curling free kick but the Clarets' keeper did well to turn the ball around the far post. Burnley went close to a third on 81 minutes as Mears raced into the area before Rodriguez smashed the ball goalward. To be fair it was a great stop by Steele, who finally had a little bit of luck as the ball cannoned back off the post and into his arms. The home side got their third just seconds later as Ross Wallace whipped the ball back into the danger area and the bouncing ball fell nicely for Iwelumo, who curled it past Steele from 12 yards. Barnsley deserved something from the game. They almost got it in stoppage time as Shackell rose highest to meet Trippier's deep free kick but his header drifted wide of the far post. BURNLEY: Jensen, Cork, Marney (Alexander 87), Iwelumo (Paterson 83), Elliott, Mears, Cort, Rodriguez, Bikey, Easton, Eagles (Wallace 78).
Subs: Duff, Edgar, Thompson, Grant. BARNSLEY: Steele, Hassell (O'Brien 67), Foster, Shackell, McEveley (Potter 61), Trippier, Colace, Doyle, Hammill, Lovre (Wood 73), Gray.
Subs: Preece, Arismendi, Butterfield, Dickinson. Referee
Andy Haines (Tyne & Weir)
Assistant Referees
Gary Hilton (Lancashire) and Dave McCallum (Tyne & Weir)
Fourth Official
Tony Harrington (Cleveland) "We have been match sponsors numerous times and have thoroughly enjoyed the hospitality that Barnsley Football Club offer. We would have no hesitation in recommending businesses to take advantage of a sponsorship package this season. Since getting involved with Barnsley FC the awareness of our business has risen significantly."
Kevin Beckett, C K Beckett COMMERCIAL BROCHURE 2010-2011 CLICK HERE FOR TICKET INFORMATION FROM OAKWELL!!! CLICK HERE TO SHOP ONLINE BET ON THE REDS WITH CORAL ©WWW.BARNSLEYFC.CO.UK 2010 RNK GET THE EXCLUSIVES FIRST - Subscribers to our official SMS service are the first to hear all the big news from inside Oakwell. Be the first to know about all the latest exclusive news from Oakwell next time by signing up to our text service today - click here for more. Try - The official website is now available on your phone, for when you're on the move.
    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.