Skip to main content


21:39 10th August 2010


ROCHDALE 1 (Elding 56)
LIVE FROM OAKWELL JUST two-and-a-half years after claiming some notable knock out scalps, the Reds fell victim to a Carling Cup giantkilling at Oakwell against Rochdale. Barnsley manager Mark Robins rang the changes following last weekend's opening day defeat at Queens Park Rangers. In came Kieran Trippier, Jacob Butterfield and Liam Dickinson while Bobby Hassell, Martin Devaney and Andy Gray missed out. Rochdale had ex-Oakwell midfielder Gary Jones in their starting eleven with the Dale skipper making his 500th appearance against his former employers. Unsurprisingly it was Barnsley who started the brighter and showed their Championship class with some swift and incisive passing. Hugo Colace split Rochdale open on eight minutes to give Adam Hammill a great chance to shoot but Josh Lillis was in fine form to deny the winger the opener. Hammill then turned provider a minute later with a fine cross that only just evaded Goran Lovre in the centre. Rochdale were rocking and Jones' poor touch gave Dickinson the chance to turn and shoot from the edge of the box but the striker hammered his effort a foot or so over. Butterfield then let fly from 25 yards on 12 minutes but Craig Dawson was quickly out to block the ball through to Lillis. Barnsley pressed and probed but found stubborn resistance in a well organised Rochdale back line. Hammill threatened to break through on 23 minutes but again could only shoot at Lillis from a tight angle. Rochdale sprang well on 28 minutes with Joe Thompson digging out a decent cross from the right that left Trippier isolated against Chris O'Grady. The big Rochdale frontman won the header but could not beat Luke Steele. Trippier showed his attacking intent on 33 minutes as he raced onto Lovre's pass but drilled a low cross straight into Lillis' welcome arms. Barnsley were patient and knocked the ball around for fun in the opening half. Another flowing passing move sent Trippier away down the right on 38 minutes and the full back picked out Dickinson but the striker could not get his free header on target. Stephen Foster flashed a header wide of the mark on 43 minutes after rising highest to meet Jay McEveley's corner. At the other end Dawson headed high, high over the bar in stoppage time after outjumping his marker to reach Brian Barry-Murphy's corner kick. Barnsley were back on the front foot in the opening exchanges of the second half with Nathan Doyle volleying spectacularly goalward on 46 minutes but the ball crept wide with Lillis stranded. Lovre then broke well onto Dickinson's flick seconds later but was eased to the ground by Dawson. It was probably as much a penalty as any of QPR's at the weekend though. More neat passing between Lovre and Colace sent Hammill free on 52 minutes but the winger could only shoot straight at Lillis from the edge of the box. Mark Robins had seen enough and sent on Iain Hume and Devaney on 53 minutes to try and spark his side into life. Lovre and Butterfield made way. Another break from midfield on 55 minutes saw Hammill let fly again but this time the ball flew a foot or so over the top. Rochdale grabbed the opening goal on 57 minutes and it was a complete gift from Reds keeper Steele. It was O'Grady's deep, deep cross that caught out the Barnsley defence and substitute Antony Elding glanced it goalward only for the ball to slip through Steele's hands and creep in at the foot of the post. Rochdale had their tails up and Doyle picked up the first booking of the game on 59 minutes after tripping Thompson in full flight. It was almost two just seconds later as Barry-Murphy's corner struck Dawson and bounced just wide of the top corner with Steele stranded. The Reds were desperate. Stephen Foster tried a spectacular over head kick on 66 minutes after Jason Shackell had nodded the ball back across goal but only managed to knock the wind out of his sails as he crashed to the floor with the ball being cleared. Steele went a long way to redeeming himself with an outstanding save to deny O'Grady on 70 minutes after the Dale winger had found himself 12 yards out with the goal to aim at. O'Grady's shot was heading towards the corner before Steele got a vital, vital touch. The referee though missed it and points to a goal kick much to the annoyance of Rochdale. It would have taken something special to spark the Reds into life and it almost came from Hammill on 73 minutes as he turned well and smacked one from 30 yards but again it was straight at Lillis. Hume then tried the same on 75 minutes but his shot fizzed well over the top. Devaney had the Oakwell crowd on its feet on 76 minutes with a fast and frantic run through the heart of the Rochdale midfield only to be tripped on the edge of the box. Hammill curled his free kick straight at Lillis. Thompson picked up a yellow seconds later after kicking out at Devaney. Barnsley's big chance came on 79 minutes when McEveley burst into the area and through a half-hearted challenge before picking out Dickinson but the striker blazed well, well wide with the goal gaping. The Reds could only create half chances in the Rochdale area. Substitute Hassell nodded one straight at Lillis as he met McEveley's corner as the clocked ticked into stoppage time. Hammill then dragged one well wide of the target as Rochdale worked hard to shut down any gaps on the edge of the box. Rochdale could have even made it two deep in stoppage time as Elding missed an absolute sitter six yards out after good play down the right flank by Matt Done. There was still time for an almighty scramble in the Dale six yard box and a good shout for a penalty as Shackell's shot appeared to strike an arm but there was nothing for the Reds despite big appeals. BARNSLEY: Steele, Trippier, Foster (Hassell 80), Shackell, McEveley, Hammill, Doyle, Colace, Butterfield (Devaney 53), Lovre (Hume 53), Dickinson.
Subs: Preece, Potter, Gray, Boulding. ROCHDALE: Lillis, Wiseman, Widdowson, Holness, Dawson, Kennedy, Jones, Barry-Murphy, Thompson (Done 79), Akpa Akpro (Elding 45), O'Grady.
Subs: Edwards, Flynn, Redshaw, Goodall, Andre. Referee
Geoff Eltringham (Tyne and Wear)
Assistant Referees
Barry Gordon (County Durham) and Oliver Yates (Staffordshire)
Fourth Official
Peter Davies (Cheshire) Attendance - 4,107 Report By Rob Knowles. "We have been match sponsors numerous times and have thoroughly enjoyed the hospitality that Barnsley Football Club offer. We would have no hesitation in recommending businesses to take advantage of a sponsorship package this season. Since getting involved with Barnsley FC the awareness of our business has risen significantly."
Kevin Beckett, C K Beckett COMMERCIAL BROCHURE 2010-2011 CLICK HERE FOR TICKET INFORMATION FROM OAKWELL!!! CLICK HERE TO SHOP ONLINE ©WWW.BARNSLEYFC.CO.UK 2010 RNK GET THE EXCLUSIVES FIRST - Subscribers to our official SMS service are the first to hear all the big news from inside Oakwell. Be the first to know about all the latest exclusive news from Oakwell next time by signing up to our text service today - click here for more. Try - The official website is now available on your phone, for when you're on the move.
    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.